Thread: Garmin c330 battery

Garmin c330 battery

Hello,
    I had purchased an Garmin C330 as few months ago. I am very interested with application. It does a very interesting job. But I have an issue with the battery. The charging of the battery is very slow, so I wanted to ask that can I use a different battery? Also, can you give the specification of the battery so that I can decide which one is good for me. Any help regarding this topic is appreciated.

Re: Garmin c330 battery

The internal battery is used primarily to save the GPS data of a previous use to accelerate the acquisition of the position. It also serves to save Settings "for" as SBAS, Trickle, etc ... When the battery no longer supply the memory of the GPS, everything returns to Settings "factory".

It seems to me that there are 3 categories of internal batteries:
    1. Lithium Battery (5 years) - the CF GPS Fortuna example. This is good but after 5 years can be discarded.
    2. Capacitor - on Globalsat GPS (or it takes within 48 h) or Fortuna GPSmart or it takes one week - almost immediate reloading for Globalsat
    3. Rechargeable Battery (Holux, Emtac, Haicom) - the AC takes at least a week but it takes longer to load (48h?) - Probably Lithium-Ion

It is important before a first use to allow a CF GPS with a capacitor / battery inserted into a CF slot (PocketPC or Laptop) to ensure that the internal battery will keep the SET as long as possible.

In terms of capacity, it is very very little time to load, Agenda 100th of a second, see a bit more as they approach the farad for some. The GPS should not be more than 0.1 Farad given their dimensions. For rechargeable batteries, what are their characteristics, they are NiCd or NiMh?

2 = Capacitor Super Capacity or alternatively, is a super capacitor that recharges very quickly, often used to compensate for the lack of battery change or a temporary lack of power.
    3 = accumulator classical sense, but rather that lithium NiCd or lead.

No battery to problem in a GPS and a rule for the backup data on a memory ROM or RAM, is very bulky and heavy and there is potential for hydrogen evolution of the electrolyte has only the battery NiCd batteries were used but now are replaced by non-rechargeable lithium batteries has lifespan of 10 years or more recently by Li-ion batteries. The capabilities are also used, very high values, agenda Farad which is as huge capacity, in general the capabilities used in electronics are the order of millionth of 10-6F Farad (uF) until at picofarad January 10-12F (pF). The drawback of these capabilities is that they have a discharge current, low and non-negligible, so that the charge without use does not take more than a few days or two days for those used in GPS. After those two days, the GPS turns cold reset at startup, which takes longer to boot, about 2 to 4 minutes while a GPS battery will retain the elements required to calculate the ephemeris position every day , satellites in the sky without having to reload the ephemeris of satellites each cold reset. By cons, you do not lose The characteristics that have been returned with SiRFdemo namely for example, the SBAS satellite that has been selected, the value of "power mask" or "elevation mask" that need may be, be stored in a ROM.

I think but do not affirm that I have already read in the characteristics of electronic devices, there was a rechargeable lithium battery, but it is not verifiable, it may be has an error of translation. In principle, a lithium battery is not charging, there is even safe to do so. Why, some GPS keeps the memory of one week or less other some more, mystery! If there is a lithium battery, it is generally guaranteed for 5 to 10 years. If there is a rechargeable Li-ion, if it is super loaded, it must take more than a week but all depends on his capacity in mA. All this information is well guarded secret by Fabic GPS, I have already posed the question, but I have no answer!

Increasingly, GPS receivers use flash memory (requiring no power) to save the data acquired earlier and faster and give a point. Because there is more than an hour to back up and it seems to be increasingly provided by a single hi-cap (or super capacity) as mentioned above. Support garmin confirmed. The unit keeps time when changing batteries but no more. It will re-acquire the remaining hours without batteries if more than one day. Moreover, many receptors that use a rechargeable lithium battery factory require a return when it is done for and it is not cheap.