Thread: How to control mouse cursor/buttons of Logitech Harmony 520 with IR Dongle on Windows XP

How to control mouse cursor/buttons of Logitech Harmony 520 with IR Dongle on Windows XP

I have Logitech Harmony 520 remote control. I would like to control the mouse cursor buttons. I have Windows XP installed on my computer. I want to try it with the help of IR dongle. Is this possible? Can you tell what are the control commands for the same?

Re: How to control mouse cursor/buttons of Logitech Harmony 520 with IR Dongle on Windows XP

You can try out to use it on another computer and then swap the remote to the PC. I am not sure if this would work but you can give it a try. But I am sure that certain features like volume, page-up should be affected by that. For others like mouse movement, I can't predict about that.

Re: How to control mouse cursor/buttons of Logitech Harmony 520 with IR Dongle on Windows XP

Are you able to see something like "...." as soon as you press a button during the IR record? If so then that indicates your remote is definitely recognized by the computer. However there are no IR remote commands under Windows which allows you to control the mouse cursor, it is only possible with the standard directional inputs in menu systems.

You can use Soundgraph/iMON Remote Pads. These remote pads allow you to control the mouse in the same manner as you would do with joy pads and keyboard state. This is a receiving software feature as well as the hardware that supports the additional directions through a knob. On the contrary the Logitech Harmony 520 consist of just 4 directions which makes the mouse control a little messy. However if you want to control the mouse with the help of the IR dongle then you can go for a "Keyboard Mouse" which is available for Windows.

The IR is very difficult to get working. I've seen some 'PC/USB/IR' remotes that are already programmed with applications and keystokes to buttons. The reason for choosing the IR dongle is that I want a custom PC which is made by me that can run few applications and do not utilize the keyboard or mouse.