Thread: shift key problems in laptop and desktop

shift key problems in laptop and desktop

I've a problem in both my laptop and desktop.When I press shift key and 2 button to get @ symbol,it shows " symbol and when I press shift key and ' button,it shows @ symbol instead of " symbol.I've same problem with some other keys also.But when I press only ' button or 2 button(without pressing shift key),it naturally shows ' and 2 respectively.Previously I've had Windows XP installed in both PC's,the problem started then.Now there is Windows 7 installed in them,but the same problem still continues.I scaned my computer with ESET NOD 32 and Windows Defender seperately,but they didn't show any virus activity in my computer.Both antiviruses were updated at the time of use(at the time of use one antivirus,other was uninstalled).
    Please help me to get rid of this problem.

Re: shift key problems in laptop and desktop

This is something wierd, does any other keys like for example caps lock key work fine? Did you try to put things into ALL CAPS? If not then it might be the drivers/OS. I would try booting to DOS and see if the shift keys start working. (If you have an old DOS disk around or a Win98 boot disk). If it is not the OS then it would seem to be the keyboard itself and its firmware.

All keys are working fine.Capslock is also working fine.I'm getting all the symbols but not in their right position as I mentioned earlier.Both PC have the same problem and symbols are working by pressing same alternative key,so I think it's not a problem of the keyboard,it's something software related problem.

First you need to go to control panel and check the language setting or you can also try to change the keyboard from their. If that doesnt work then try to plug in a USB keyboard to your laptop and check all keys are working or not. If it is working then it is a problem with your laptop keyboard perhaps.

Now I clicked on "On screen keyboard" option and it showed me @ symbol at " position and " symbol at @ position.So,it's definitely a software problem.May be it can be corrected from "Control Panel",but I tried "Keyboard and Language Bar" option in "Control Panel",but did not find any option how to change it.

In the Keyboards and Languages tab try to click on Change keyboards, then you will come up with an option called Installed services, click add over there and in the input Language dialog box, select the keyboard layout you would like to add from the list available and click OK. The keyboard layout you added will be included in the list. To set the new layout as your default, select it from the list. Click OK to save your changes. You can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by clicking on the Language Bar button or by pressing the Alt + Shift keys.