Thread: Need a Esata for firewire 800 adaptor

Need a Esata for firewire 800 adaptor

Is it probable to create an adaptor to connect an Esata Cable to a Fire wire 800 Connector. I would similar to attach my Esata Hard drive to a Fire wire 800 port. Does anybody have an evidence if it is probable to connect an esata apparatus to an iMac. I have seen usb to esata adapter but are they as speedy. Is it significance it compared to fire wire 800. I do hard drive video on my transferable hdd, so I need something fast.

Re: Need a Esata for firewire 800 adaptor

You have to utilize a cheap fire wire 800 sata inclusion. I do this and work it without its case whenever I necessitate to hurriedly swapping drives approximately. No, they are totally dissimilar interfaces and not compatible. To create the connection you necessitate a bridging chipset similar to in a FW800 exterior enclosure. I am unconscious of any ESATA->FW conversions as it is cheaper/easier/supplementary elegant to purchase a FW800 enclosure and pull the drive from your accessible enclosure and put it in there.

I am not optimistic, but I envisage that you would lose the speed in an eSATA to USB adapter, as the max speed on a USB is impressive similar to 480 mbps, at the same time as eSATA is much faster. I do not be familiar with of several ways to get a straight connection for your system although. For the fastest speed utilize fire wire 800. USB is moderately slow. It determines to be bottle necked. Not worth it. Presently go with Fire wire or USB as an alternative of eSata.

You are able to utilize FW 800; otherwise you determine to have to hack into your iMac to run the SATA connector to an eSATA connector, then you would misplace your internal drive (if I am not incorrect). I determine to go for a fire wire 800 one. The G-tech ones are actually cool looking. Even though I believe Apple requirements to get with the times and dump FW400 for eSATA, the review points of reference I have seen do not demonstrate eSATA with much benefit in excess of FW800. As I understand it, eSATA merely gets up to its maximal transfer rates in RAID setups.

On the other hand, the most recent big drives (e.g., Seagate's 7200.11 series) are able to schlep >100 MB/s transversely the heads and they are merely going to get faster as perpendicular recording density enlarges. The 7200.11's are Seagate's second-generation P.R. drives, and they are 35% faster than the first-generation 7200.10's (105 MB/s vs. 78 MB/s).

That's been true in the precedent, but in anticipation of extremely recently, high-capacity HDs were not fast sufficient to saturate a FW800 link on continuous transfers. In addition, a dedicated HD interface has huge presentation advantages in excess of a shared fire wire connection. Fire wire disk presentation takes a big hit when you attach a camera, camcorder, or audio source to the bus. The point of reference by no means demonstrates that.

I am using eSATA with my G4 via a PCI card. It is actually great to be honest. I have a couple of 2-drive enclosed space in RAID-0 config and the speed is exceptional. Plus eSATA is presently SATA with a dissimilar connector, so there's no renovation taking place. I necessitate upgrading my apparatus and wanting the innovative AL iMac, but the lack of eSATA is a bit of a killer for me, having previously invested in these eSATA enclosures. The additional hand, the MacPro is presently too luxurious for me.