Thread: Add hot spare to raid 5

Add hot spare to raid 5

Hello,
    I have RAID 5 which is running on my win server 2003, the server is an HP server. The problem is that , I have got an 6 hard disk space. Now I need to add the hot spare to it as I am running short of space. So, if you know how can I extend the disk the please help me with this. Also, if you have the configuration for this, then please post back.

Re: Add hot spare to raid 5

Some RAID cards and / or NAS devices can connect one or more spare disks (spare disks). These disks are not used except in case of failure of one disk. We implemented a two-disk RAID 1 and we also added a spare disk (of course it requires equipment that supports hotspare). If one disk in the RAID comes in a crash, it will be immediately replaced with the spare disk. This increases fault tolerance of RAID because if you use a spare disk we can afford to lose an extra disk without losing data. That is of course expensive in terms of equipment on small RAID. By cons on large sets (5 discs and over) this could become very interesting.

I agree with the above post and i would like to add give you can example for it, if you have a RAID card can be adapted to create a RAID 50 with sixteen hard disks (RAID 5 four sets of four each mounted hard drives in RAID 0) and add a 17th Rescue Disk. If one disk for the RAID set five crashes then the spare disk takes over immediately what keeps fault tolerance. The administrator can then change quietly failed drive knowing that the system remains secure.

Here are few points for you
    Three identical disks on the controller RAID and an IDE disk.
    - A logical drive RAID-5 comprising three discs.
    - An IDE drive as slave on the first layer or second layer. Its size must be greater than or equal to that of the logical drive RAID-5.

Three identical drives on the controller RAID and not IDE.
    - A logical drive RAID1 (mirror)
    - One logical drive RAID-0 on the third disc

Rily Messenger Guest

On a system RAID 1 or RAID 5, it is fashionable to keep a record in "hot spare" on its bay to the unfortunate case where a disk RAID group would come to let go. But what about the "hot spare" on a RAID 6??? In RAID6, there is a redundancy No. 2, so if a disk farts, it is always "safe" since it takes at least 2 dead disks that starts to fear. I wonder what are the practices commonly practiced by the pros when they deploy the RAID6: hot spare or not hot-spare? and if hot-spare, why? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Without being an expert in storage, it seems to me that RAID 6 is instead used a higher number of disks to RAID 5 and for prior to RAID 1. Under these conditions, the probability that two disks be defective is perhaps more so negligible.

The error rate of SATA drives (real, not the manufacturers) is 1 bit per 10 * 14. That may seem high, but a 1TB drive contains almost 10 * 13 bits. This means that when reconstruction of a cluster from October to December 1TB drives (or discs 5-6 2TB) it is statistically certain to be a mistake. So if is RAID-5, it is almost certain not to rebuild without corruption.