Thread: Need some suggestion of esata external enclosure

Need some suggestion of esata external enclosure

I was presently wondering if anybody had a backup setup with an eSATA correlation to their Mac. I am thinking regarding getting an eSATA expresscard, 500GB HD, and 3.5" eSATA enclosed space to go with my Macbook Pro, but I wondered if anybody previously had this setup and how successful it is (vs. purchasing fire wire exterior hard drives).

Re: Need some suggestion of esata external enclosure

You have exterior enclosed space with eSATA and attach to macbook pro using eSATA express-card. It runs extremely well. Merely downside is, you cannot boot from exterior drive if it’s connected via eSATA. The OS X and macbook pro's firmware are not set-up to do this. So, if you desire fast bootable exterior drive for your macbook pro you necessitate utilizing fire wire 800 or usb correlation. Most excellent thing would be to be eSATA+firewire 800 enclosure. You have to utilize eSATA when you do not necessitate booting from exterior as it’s faster than fire wire. And you can utilize fire wire 800 connections when you necessitate booting from exterior.

I utilize their Mercury Elite esata dual drive model with my PM G5. They have an additional model of the Mercury that has together eSATA and FW4/800. The OWC's substance has been extremely regarded on these forums. The eSATA is exterior SATA. No present Mac ships with an eSATA port so you cannot attach an eSATA enclosed space to a Mac. Make a note of that the 3Gbps is a max speed: a solitary drive is not probable to be capable to maintain this.

They are products are elevated quality, on the other hand you be supposed to merely purchase ram from them as it moreover runs or does not, as something as uncomplicated as a SATA cable broken in shipping or a construction imperfection case is it seems that the user's fault. They are customer service is awful. Superior product though if you are lucky to get one that runs. I utilize a 1TB 7200RPM FD-GreenDrive via eSATA on my 17" MacBook Pro for proficient audio submission such as Logic Studio. Superior I purchase with lower power expenditure perfect for regulated power systems with audio electronics.

I encompass the SIIG express/34 card associated to a Lacie Two Big 1TB exterior raid. It runs extremely well. I looked at the consequences of eSata enclosures vs. kits (similar to the lacie) and opted for the Lacie kit in view of the fact that there was not much of a price benefit going with separate pieces at the time. I looked at the Caldigit stuff, it looks pleasant, but I cannot observe it is a hardware or software raid (but I did look at their site tremendously rapidly). If you are going for a raid enclosed space, you enormously desire a hardware raid. The software raids determine to kill your speed benefit by going esata vs. fw or usb.

I would vote for the Bytecc SATA express card. It's a lot cheaper than a number of the additional ones but it got superior reviews on NewEgg from users using Macs. I have owned 3 Bytecc exterior HD Enclosures and the entire have been enormous. The Bytecc is a superior company. I presently ordered an Addonics exterior case with hardware port multiplier for raid, and 5 hot-swap sata-bays to go inside the case, by the side of with a 2-port non-raid Addonics express card. This combo be supposed to run excellent on the MBP, or so I hope.

The MacPower one works the most recent Oxford chipset on the market right at present. The (Oxford 934 DSB determine to almost certainly start appearing in the somewhat near prospect, which does hold up or maintain SATA 3.0Gb/s. But, out of inquisitiveness, why do you necessitate 3.0Gb/s, when enormously no hard drives be able to deliver that speed. (Not even half of that speed, essentially.) As for Antec, I am a bit suspicious of them subsequent to I had a PSU of theirs blow up on me and take with it more than a few disks.