Thread: Installing a 220MB read SSD in early 2008 macbook pro,

Installing a 220MB read SSD in early 2008 macbook pro,

I am having some issues regarding implementation. I am currently in South Korea and I thought that I might purchase a Samsung SSD hard drive for my macbookpro 4.1 and moved to shop for this . While getting around, I got a proper distinction between:

* MMDOE28G5MPP -> 70 Mb/s read and 90 Mb/s write and
    * MMCRE28G5MXP -> 220 Mb/s read and 200 Mb/s write

And the comparison regarding price is just about $150 .The specs of the latest drive are described below :
    ================================
    Manufacturer SAMSUNG
    Model 128GB MLC SSD 2.5 MMCRE28G5MXP
    Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s

Performance
    Host Transfer Rate 300MB/sec
    Maximum Sequential Read Rate 220MB/s
    Maximum Sequential Write Rate 200MB/s

================================

So the drive is properly much better then the simple drive in the consideration of specs but something that I need to discuss with you .

1. I have a 1.5 Gigabit ICH8-M AHCI Sata controller, that theoretically should compatible with the maximum speeds for such disk , Is it?

2. Can I expect any compatibility issue with the current disk?

Re: Installing a 220MB read SSD in early 2008 macbook pro,

According to me, the driver that you have just purchased should be compatible according to the spec that you have posted in your question . It should be compatible in your computer, at least it seems that method as far as the connector is concerned. You should not suffering with any comparability related problems with this . As far as you machine is concerned it should perform the actions as a standard magnetic drive. I hope the information would be helpful for you.

Hello gygabyte, Thank you very much for your kind replies and I think there should be another matter , Let me find out much more about this , Yeah I do feel that! Actually, I am running with the FUJITSU MHY2200BH, that is incredibly accordance of performance gets very slow . My macbook pro is more quicker then my previously purchased G4 powerbook, but not quite the leap that I assumed when I purchased it. I think, it is worth the complexity to up-gradation!

This will likely perform just well but one thing would be lacked and that is you can't get the whole speed that the SSD can achieve within the specific sequential workloads. SATA having 1.5 Gb/s will max out at about 150MB/s. So,I would say "NO" .

For your second query , your mileage can differentiate. I have just put a latest Super Talent 256GB Ultradrive (STT_FTM56GX25H )in my MacBookPro4,1 and it performs better except for occasionally my wake from sleep not come up with proper way . It may be the problem related to the firmware , I am not sure by the way.

Personally, According to me, Several users focus too much on the synthetic highest throughput speeds of disk drives. Unless entirely I do all day long is copy more contented files from a single drive to another one , the reality is that the drive can sustain 220MB/s for sequential-only input /output is not that necessary for me. On a laptop, you have to actually care about random read IOPS and random write IOPS that is the good SSDs can perform much better than the stock drive you are replacing.

Thanks for such a wonderful and helpful response. I didn't feel that this specific drive would be out of the highest capacity. I have been studying about MLC, SLC, IOPS etc, and I have figured out that OCZ, Super Talent and Intel drives have standard position in comparison to the Samsung's.

There is one worry is that the Super Talent assumes to have no cache, do you have any issues with beach-balls or hick ups in OSX?

I was just googled on the internet and got this interesting thread and another one that was related to this thread.I got something there as "You feel that this is the pain to exchange the hard drive, don't you? ". What do you all think
    about this guys ????

According to me,Not closely as complex as HD replacement on the powerbooks were. this is doable.