Thread: How to connect Mini to TV/Receiver to get digital surround sound?

How to connect Mini to TV/Receiver to get digital surround sound?

I am unable to figure this out. I am Hoping from someone who can help me to make proper adjustment of the appropriate settings . Currently, I use a TV Digital Audio Out going to the Receiver TV Optical in. PS3 and Apple TV each using a HDMI slot in the receiver. I am using the following :

TV:
    Sony Bravia KDL-46V3000
    Owners Manual

Receiver:
    Sony STR-DG720
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by New ID; 25-05-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Re: How to connect Mini to TV/Receiver to get digital surround sound?

Hey dude,
    You need not to worry about this, if you are running with the proper configuration then you can't be lacked out . According to your given image, I considered that you should use the SAT Digital In on the receiver to plug to the Mac's optical out. You will require a TOSLINK to optical Jack adaptor on the Mac side though. And that's it what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwareman View Post
    you should use the SAT Digital In on the receiver to plug to the Mac's optical out. You will require a TOSLINK to optical Jack adaptor on the Mac side though. And that's it what you want...
    This is the perfect one that I require and was lacking without this. That's the proper ,I am very thankful to you ! I have tried the procedure as you told me to do. So, Now, for video I require an adapter to HDMI and plug this to the Sat HDMI port in the receiver. It would be the proper fix for all who are dealing with such type of issue ?

You know, only the latest MacBooks will relay audio via the Mini DisplayPort connector. Unless your Receiver may be configured to get another audio input to the input video then you will require to plug the computer to the TV, then the optical to the Receiver. I am running with a Yamaha and with this, you can locate an audio source other than the input video, but not when the input video is HDMI.

Digital surround sound is not guaranteed to perform just because you plug using your Mac's digital optical audio port. The program installed on your Mac platform also has to activate surround sound output and I am fairly specific that the only Apple application which is compatible surround sound is Apple's own DVD player. However, there are "hacks" that made activate AC3 passthrough via the Quick Time player .