Thread: capslock key won't work

capslock key won't work

I recently bought a replacement keyboard on ebay for my MBP and just installed. It's been about a week and only today I noticed the caps lock key does not work .. I do not know if it was this way, or if it just stopped recently. I was curious if this was a problem common? If not, is their anything I can do as a substitute for caps-lock? Another key maybe? Or a button on the taskbar or something? I can not really do anything. I do not know if it was damaged when I bought it, or if I damaged during installation, or if I just installed something that has stopped working suddenly. I don't know why capslock key won't work. Please help me.

Re: capslock key won't work

You have to install Aluminum Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0. This firmware update addresses an issue with the aluminum Apple Keyboard and the aluminum Apple Wireless Keyboard where a key may repeat unexpectedly while typing or some of the keys are not working. The update also addresses other issues. Mac OS X 10.5.8 is required before installing this update.

Open Universal Access preferences (in System Preferences) and click the Mouse tab. Verify that Mouse Keys is Off. (With Mouse Keys on you can use the keyboard or the numeric keypad keys to move the mouse, however normal keyboard functionality will be disabled until the Mouse Keys feature is turned off.) I hope this will help you.

I just bought a replacement keyboard from Ebay and my Caps Lock key does not work. I was very soft and some experience with the replacement of the keyboard, so I do not think it was something I did. I wonder if this has something to do with the number lock and caps lock problems that some others have reported with Leopard? I tried resetting the PRAM, but it did not clear my problem. I checked and my Caps Lock key is enabled in preferences keyboard. I tried to disable and the re-empowerment. It still does not work. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas?

First go to the System Preferences -> Now go to the Keyboard & Mouse -> now select Keyboard pane -> "Edit Keys" (bottom left).
    Click on this link. When the dialog box opens, make sure the entry for the Caps Lock key is also said to Caps Lock in the list box on the right side. I hope this will help you.

All this is fascinating. While my "z" key works, my shift + z does not work. Everything I was. So far, I think everything else works fine. I'm still in my one-year warranty plan I have AppleCare on my MacBook Pro 15 ". Suppose I should find my local Apple Store. I hope they will fix this issue.

Open Speech preferences in System Preferences. If "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" is enabled, the key combination to speak text cannot be used for other purposes or used to type text--change to a more obscure key combination (try to use more modifier keys such as Shift, Command, Option, and Control). Or, simply disable the "Speak selected text when the key is pressed" option.