Thread: MacPro with two 4870 cards does not boot

MacPro with two 4870 cards does not boot

I am facing a weird problem with the Mac Pro which I am using. I have two 4870 cards installed on the computer. The problem which I am facing is the Mac Pro does not boot when the two 4870 cards are connected. The operating system installed on the computer is Snow leopard. Can anybody here explain me why my MacPro with two 4870 cards does not boot? Any help regarding the topic are welcome. Is this because of some hardware failure? Please help.

Re: MacPro with two 4870 cards does not boot

May be the system of Mac Pro is not supporting the two graphic card which are installed and hence the system is not booting. Remove one of the graphic card and then boot the system using single graphic card. See if the system is booting up or not. If the computer works with a single graphic card, then the system does not support dual graphic card and hence you will not be able to use dual graphics card on the system.

You will need to replace the power supply unit of the Mac pro. The power supply unit of the Mac Pro must be having lower wattage due to which it is getting loaded while using two graphic cards. Therefore I would suggest you get a new power supply unit with a high wattage rating. Replacing the power supply unit will solve the problem hopefully.

The Mac operating system does not support dual core graphics card and hence the system is not booting up when both the graphic cards are connected. Mac operating systems only support Single core graphic cards. So if you want to use both the graphics card you will have to use some parallel desktop software for running Windows operating system which supports dual core graphic cards.

The firmware of the graphic card is outdated I think and hence the graphic cards are not working in dual mode. Download the updated firmware and install it on the graphic cards. Once the firmware of the graphics card is updated, check if the system is able to detect both the graphics card together. You download the updated firmware from the official website of ATI.

Even if you update the ROM of the graphics cards still the system will only be able to use the graphics card as the single core card. This is because of the lack of the xfire drivers which are required for running the dual graphics card. You will have to download and install the required xfire drivers on the computer inorder to make the dual graphics card work.