Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 22-05-2010

Mac Pro won't recognize memory

Hello there, I have recently bought a Mac Pro Quad Xeon which previously had 2gb RAM installed on it. I bought a 4gb RAM for the Mac pro and installed on the machine but the problem which I am facing is that the Mac Pro won't recognize memory sometimes. When the computer is booted, it only detects the default 2gb RAM sometimes. I cannot figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help. Any help regarding the topic is more than welcome.
Old 22-05-2010

Re: Mac Pro won't recognize memory

I suspect that the problem is with the SMC of the system which is creating problems in detection of the RAM. SMC of the system controls all the lower level functions. If the SMC is not working properly, it has to reset. To reset the SMC, follow the steps below :-
1. Power down the computer.
2. Remove the power cord.
3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
4. Release the power button and connect the power cord.
5. Start the computer and see if the problem is solved.
Old 22-05-2010

Are the RAM chips which are used Apple certified? In Mac systems the RAM of the system will only be detected if the RAM chips are apple certified. I think the RAM chips are not apple certified and hence the system is not detecting it. Contact the dealer and check if the chips which are being used are apple certified or not. If not then get them replaced and I am sure your problem will be solved.
Old 22-05-2010

The operating system on the Mac pro must not be detecting the extra RAM which is added due to which you are facing such problem. I would suggest that you update the current operating system on the Mac pro and see if the system is able to detect the extra RAM. You can install the operating system in install/archive mode and see if it helps.
Old 24-05-2010

As suggested I tried and updated the operating system on the Mac Pro. After updating the operating system on the Mac Pro still the system is facing the same problem with the system RAM. The system is not detecting all the RAM at a time. Is there any alternative solution for this issue? Please suggest.
Old 25-05-2010

Have you tried doing PRAM reset? Mostly PRAM reset solves all the problems related to the Mac systems. PRAM reset is to be performed as follows. Press and hold the R,P, Apple and Option keys on the keyboard while booting the system. Keep the keys pressed till 3 startup chimes are heard. As soon as 3rd startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.
Old 26-05-2010

Probably the DIMM slots on the logic board are not working properly due to which the RAM is not getting detected. Try inserting the RAM in some other DIMM slot on the logic board and then check if the RAM is detected completely or not. Also I would suggest that you get the whole logic board tested by some expert as it may be faulty and creating problem. If the Mac is under warranty then take it to the nearest service center.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , ,