Thread: Problem with keyboard volume in Mac Pro

Problem with keyboard volume in Mac Pro

I have a Mac PRO which is about 6 months old. The operating system on the Mac pro was 10.5 which I updated to Mac OS X snow leopard recently but after updating the operating system on the system, the keyboard volume control buttons only change the internal speakers volume. I have an external speakers connected and I used to control the volume from keyboard volume control keys but now it does not work. So if anybody knows how to solve Problem with keyboard volume in Mac Pro then please share some information. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with keyboard volume in Mac Pro

I think the operating system upgrade procedure which you carried did not complete properly which is leading to such problems. The files of the new version of the operating system must be conflicting with the files of the old version of the operating system. Hence reinstall the operating system again on the computer using the install/archive mode and see if the problem is solved or not.

By default the system preferences are to change the volume of the internal speakers of the computer and not the external speakers. As you have upgraded the operating system on the computer, you will have to change the system preferences on the computer to change the default settings. Go to System Preferences and select Output. In the output section select the external speakers and save the settings. Now the keyboard volume control button will change the volume of external speakers.

As suggested I changed the settings in the system preferences column and selected the external speakers as the output but still the keyboard volume control buttons change the internal speaker volumes and do not change the external speaker volume. Is there any other solution for restoring the previous working condition? Please help.

There are many option which are available for changing the sound effects and alert sounds which are played using the keyboard volume control button. I have the kept my settings to play the feedback sound from the internal speakers while changing the sound volume of external hardware. Hence check the settings and configure it to play the feedback sounds while changing the external sound output.

I was also facing the same problem when I changed the location of the user folder on the Mac pro. Some keys on keyboard and mouse did not function properly after changing the location of the user folder. So if you have changed the location of the user folder on the Mac, revert it back and check if the volume keys on the keyboard is working properly or not.

I did not realize that changing the location of the user folder will create such a problem on my Mac. I had moved the user folder on the other partition on the hard drive for transferring some files. After your suggestion, I replaced the folder back to the original location of the folder and now the keyboard volume control buttons are working. Thanks for all the help.