Thread: SSD vs Velociraptor

SSD vs Velociraptor

I am having the core i7 920 build and it is not having the hard drive as I want. For now I have 640 GB WD Caviar Blue. Now I want to upgrade to the Windows 7 RC and while doing that I want to upgrade my hard drive also. But, I am confused about the Velociraptor and SSD. If anyone is having the details about that, then give me details about it. So, I can select one from them.

Re: SSD vs Velociraptor

To deliver their maximum speed, there are SSD directly connected to the motherboard via a connector PCI Express, The image of a graphics card. This allows some DSS exceed the bar Gb / s, while SATA interfaces are limited to 600 Mb / s for all past generations, and even 300 Mb / s SATA interfaces for the most common. The DSS in PCI Express are most often made of a SATA RAID controller interfacing 2-8 SATA SSD placed directly on the card. So, I would suggest you to use the SSD for your computer for better work.

A velociraptor is unsurpassed in raid0, only by high-end SSDs (eg those that Intel has come out, but the capacity is pathetic.) The DSS entry level have many reliability problems and their rates are not stable. So, it is better to make sue of the SSD. So, just use the SSD and get solution for your problem. Solid-state drive is a hardware allowing Data Storage Consisting of Flash, due to which it gives more faster working. So, just use that.

I am in the favor of the SSD. The main purpose of a SSD is to overcome the shortcomings of traditional hard drives: their mechanical fragility, access times to data depending on the speed of rotation of the plates and speed moving heads, which is not progressing as fast low innovations. Most disks rotate at 7200 revolutions per minute, or about 4.2 ms average latency, and average seek time is most often between 8ms and 12ms for a disk general public, thus giving an average seek time of between 12 and 16ms.

If you make use of the SSD then you will get the features as below:
    1. No mechanical wear
    2. Better impact resistance
    3. The silent operation
    4. Access times
    5. A flow that can exceed 350 MB / s read
    6. A low power consumption
    7. The fragmentation files

From my personal use, I would suggest you to make use of the VelociRaptor. You will get better storage solution from that. It will give you more better performance than the SSD on your computer. Most of the time people go for the Raid due to the cheaper rates. You have to use the VelociRator if you want really better performance. So, just use that and feel the difference.

If you are not having any problem on spending money then you can opt for a velociraptor. The DSS entry level really have a bad reputation, apparently level flow is a disaster (while other more expensive are exceptional), it would be the technology used for chips. I had searched the site of Western Digital but failed to obtain the number of trays for each disc. So 150 or 300, I'd say it up to you depending on the space you need and the budget you're willing to allocate.