Thread: Hard drive displayed as dynamic invalid drive

Hard drive displayed as dynamic invalid drive

My desktop was working absolutely fine without any sort of problems till saturday morning and when i restarted it the next day an error message appeared on my screen which states that hard drive is invalid/dynamic. FYI i am using a custom desktop and my hard disk belongs to seagate it is an 80 GB hard drive.

Re: Hard drive displayed as dynamic invalid drive

Reboot your machine and hold the F8 key till the black screen appears . Select safe mode and press the enter key .

Now in the safe mode go to the control panel and then select classic view a number of items including the Administrative tools go to Computer Management then disk management.

here you can select the option for windows to recognize it.
    Last edited by T.J.; 18-05-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Most probably this seems to be a virus and appears as your system is crashed and hence i would suggest you to reboot your machine with the recovery cd try installing the operating system once again on your system this will definitely help you to get rid of this problem since a virus can create such type of nuisance. fresh install of the operating system will help you to remove the virus from the system files.

This problem is mainly due to the corruption of your hard drive. Now you have only a single option and that is you should try to recover the data back from the hard disk using a software which is capable of recovering the hard drive data. Now i don't think that you will stable be able to get your hard drive reinstalled on your system. You will have to buy a new one.

Dynamic disks can contain a large number of dynamic volumes (approximately 2000) that function like the primary partitions used on basic disks. In some versions of Windows operating system, you can combine separate dynamic hard disks into a single dynamic volume (called spanning), split data among several hard disks (called striping) for increased performance, or duplicate data among several hard disks (called mirroring) for increased reliability.

Click a backup of all volumes on the disk you want to convert from dynamic to basic.

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click the right mouse button on the dynamic disk you want to convert a basic disk, and then click Delete Volume for each disk volume.
    • When have deleted all the volumes on the disk, click the right mouse button on the disk and then click Convert to Basic Disk.

As far as i know Step 5 do not do it on the bar that identifies the disk extension (which is where are the partitions), but on the gray square is right next door and that is labeled "Disk X" (X is the number disk) and also has the data as disk size and the identification of whether "Basic" or "Dynamic."
    There by clicking the second mouse button options out "Convert to Dynamic Disk (or Basic)"

Mrman Guest

What you have to do is convert dynamic disk to baisic.
    To change dynamic disk to basic one in an easy and safe way without
    losing data, Dynamic Disk Convertercould help you.