Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 15-05-2010

sad Power surge on external HD - non USB

I accidentally used the wrong power pack (notebook's 19V) to power my 250GB external HD (which uses a 12V power supply). My PC is not recognizing the HD anymore. I suppose a power surge occurred. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks.
Old 15-05-2010

Re: Power surge on external HD - non USB

You can try to change the map of your disk controller and see what happens, but for that you meed exactly the same model. You should always label the cords with any kind of mark to ensure you are the cord is correct for the device you are using. This is infact a good idea to prevent such power surge. Anyways, go with the disk controller and do let us know what happens.
Old 15-05-2010

Thanks for your reply. How do I change the map of the disk controller?
Old 16-05-2010

If you can get inside the BIOS setup then from their change the disk controller setting from AHCI to IDE. You might also need a Sata driver incase if your hard drive is not getting detected. Or else you can try to buy a new hard disk, then use it as the primary, and see if your old hard disk will function as a slave.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , ,