Thread: Is it worth to restore stereo amps from the 80's?

Is it worth to restore stereo amps from the 80's?

My parents found a pair of amps while cleaning the house, Fisher CA-861 and Sansui A-505. I have not touched the speaker side but till not I have discovered that the Sansui is working properly. But the fisher is giving infrequent static and pops across all channels on an intermittent basis, on the headphones. The plan and layout of the CA-874 is nearly identical to the 861. But I have read Fisher made a point to use a same base components filled out differently for the model to reduce the production cost. Anyways is it worth to restore stereo amps from the 80’s?

Re: Is it worth to restore stereo amps from the 80's?

I have done a little research on, home audio, especially at the mid-high level, has not changed much over the last forty years really. According to number of 1970s or 80s speaker are really good still and I would estimate the similar would hold true for the amps. Currently I am restoring some 1980’s kenwood speakers.

The AU-505 has the potential. It was from the big name Sansui amplifiers of the 80’s, but still they provide solid power performance. There is a massive power transformer in that thing. All the potentiometers Sansui provides pick up the dust and the grit very easily compared to other brands. I am saying this because I have seen so. It depends on your ability to fix it will be worth or not.

It sounds promising, but I am having a distinct AU505, it also makes me sad because the speaker cabinets that are paired with the Fisher are not good. I am trying to fix it but I think I will not be able to fix it. Fisher is having the largest power transformer I have ever seen. If this system starts working then I will buy a new pair of speaker which can be connected to it.

According to it is worth if try to fix that. Recently I got the Pioneer VSX-504S and it is also bridgeable at two ohms. I am also having twenty six year old Pioneer speaker. They have not build them as they should be build but then also they are really good compared to equipment that we get now a days. Personally, I like the Vintage audio equipments.