Thread: SATA PCMCIA Card (X2 eSATA ports) 4 Laptops

SATA PCMCIA Card (X2 eSATA ports) 4 Laptops

Hi,
    I have a old laptop which is running on Windows XP, 80 GB Hard drive and 512 RAM. I have a software in that which works on server level. This software manages data and it is very important. When I connect my laptop to LAN and run the backup for the same it shows my drives are full. So for that I need some option like PCMIA card to add external drives to the same. Can you suggest some solution for this.

Re: SATA PCMCIA Card (X2 eSATA ports) 4 Laptops

There are various cards online which you can buy. Just search or PCMIA cards and get one for your laptop. There are usually 4 ports card connection which offers you compatibility with USB 1.1. This will work on all latest models and you can attached up to 2 drives at a time for the same. They have a Type II slot on your system which is the requirement of the same.

I have a PCMIA card to which I had added 2 external drives. That are connected to my laptop. The best thing about this cards is that they are backward compatible to USB 1.1. So that if you have an old system then that will still work on the same. It is auto detected by windows. The card is very easy to use. As you connect the drives it shows up the device status to you.

Try to look for a Hi Speed PCMIA cards if your system is not too old. Usually if you transfer a large amount of data then your system might screw up. So a USB 2.0 support is relatively important here. I get a speed of around 480 mbps on the card which I am using. I can also use older models of external drives on the same which is quiet worth to use.

The PCMIA cards usually supports all types of usb. They can offers you speed from 1.5 mbps to 12 mbps and that depends on the hardware you are using. You does not need to get worried about the drivers as it comes with a portable cd. This are plug and play device which are quiet compatible with most of the systems. The system requirement for the same is minimum.

I had got a second hand 2.0 Ghz laptop in which I had attached two hard drives externally. My internal drive was very less. So for that on a PCMIA support card I carry all the data. The internal drive just serve as the place for the operating system. Other than this my data directory are around 100GB which is located on the external drive. The transfer rate is same as you work on internal drives.

Just search for a 2.0 PCMIA Card Bus on internet and you will get ample for models for the same. You can enjoy the same high speed data transfer rate of what you get on usb. The card can easily add usb devices and fist well on the PCI slot of your board. There is no need of having a high configuration system for the same. All you need is to get a better usb convenience.