Thread: Type I DVD-RAM (5.2GB Double Sided)

Type I DVD-RAM (5.2GB Double Sided)

I had a Sony DVD-Ram drive that used the old type I disks that were enclosed in a cartridge. My drive has lasted almost 12 years but has now died on me. But I still have about 30 of these disks. Mostly used for backups so no urgent requirement to recover data off of them.

I bought a couple of drives to try out that say they support dvd-ram but they don't work with these type I disks. I had to remove the disk from the cartridge to try it out.

Anyone know of any hardware I can try?

Thanks.

Re: Type I DVD-RAM (5.2GB Double Sided)

I dont think you need any hardware to remove the disc from cartridge. Because it has just a single removal lock pin that can be easily removed with the help of some pointed thing or better use any ballpoint pen. Just pull out the lock pin and with the help of ballpen press the indentation on the left of the cartridge. This will open the lid and now just pull out the Disc. Thats it.

I know how to remove the disc. What I am asking is what optical drive can I use to play that disk.

You didnt mention what type of old disc it was? And why do want to use it, is it some kinda of real importance? You can buy the Panasonic LF-D201U DVD-RAM:

Features:
    ◦Holds a large amount of data (4.7GB per side at this writing)
    ◦Can be re-written hundreds of thousands of times
    ◦Has an expected media life of 30 years
    ◦Is bootable
    ◦Is really ideal for small system backup

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM LEADEr View Post
    You didnt mention what type of old disc it was? And why do want to use it, is it some kinda of real importance? You can buy the Panasonic LF-D201U DVD-RAM:

Features:
    ◦Holds a large amount of data (4.7GB per side at this writing)
    ◦Can be re-written hundreds of thousands of times
    ◦Has an expected media life of 30 years
    ◦Is bootable
    ◦Is really ideal for small system backup
    Doesn't anyone READ the original post. And have a look at the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
    Type I DVD-RAM (5.2GB Double Sided)
    I had a Sony DVD-Ram drive that used the old type I disks that were enclosed in a cartridge. My drive has lasted almost 12 years but has now died on me. But I still have about 30 of these disks. Mostly used for backups so no urgent requirement to recover data off of them.

I bought a couple of drives to try out that say they support dvd-ram but they don't work with these type I disks. I had to remove the disk from the cartridge to try it out.

Anyone know of any hardware I can try?

Thanks.

I think that you should send that drive to sony service centre,they would clean your drive. Or else try to upgrade the firmware of the drive, you can get it from official website of Sony. You can also try the Matshita Firmware Site that worked for many - http://www.firmwarehq.com/Matshita/drives.html

And also the diver updater that might work http://cid-20e6971797a43072.skydrive...0.0.189+Serial

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    I think that you should send that drive to sony service centre,they would clean your drive. Or else try to upgrade the firmware of the drive, you can get it from official website of Sony. You can also try the Matshita Firmware Site that worked for many - http://www.firmwarehq.com/Matshita/drives.html

And also the diver updater that might work http://cid-20e6971797a43072.skydrive...0.0.189+Serial
    Already done. The power supply on the drive is shot. Would cost more to fix than to buy new. Sony quoted $500 to repair. I don't need it that bad.

But I just thought that with today's drives, there might be one that can read/write to the Type I 5.2GB disks if they are removed from the cartridge.

I found 2 used drives on ebay, but they want $260 each for them. Heck, even the 5.2GB/10.4GB disks are going for $30 each. Not bad for 13 year old technology I guess.