Thread: Debian - Loss of files from USB hard drive

Debian - Loss of files from USB hard drive

Hello,
    To recycle an old hard enough, I bought an external USB box that has a switch. I connects and disconnects with the switch. For convenience, the drive is formatted FAT32. The problem is I noticed that I regularly lose the last copied files. In fact, the file is present but zero length. If you have any solution for this then please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: Debian - Loss of files from USB hard drive

Hello,
    Even I do have a similar kind of a problem. I'm on Lenny + KDE. I made a right click "Remove" (or remove I do not know) and AC is the same. In addition, sometimes the directory "/ media" is not deleted in disconnection. I have tried to plugin in and plug out the hard drive many times, but no use. It is just not working. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Debian lenny usb problem

Hello,
    I had already encountered this problem by using a USB key. It was enough that I leave the key plugged in long enough after having dismantled so that files are actually written. Perhaps a story that keeps the cache files and writes until the disk drive is powered. Anyway, I had this problem in Lenny, but more in Squeeze.

Hello,
    I tried but after leaving the hard drive started a long time after the end of the copy. I just had an error during the "umount", saying that removing the directory could not. I launched "sync" after then I turned off the drive with the switch. I went to see if the directory was still present in "/ media" and there was more. If you have any more alternate method then please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Hello,
    True, But I never said that Squeeze was more stable. Just turned my computer better. That is to say that I have no problem with random delays, the more difficult to install a package a bit exotic, and I got rid of the package. The passage should, I think, not take more than an hour, despite my Internet connection at the bottom of my campaign and the state of nullity where I was when I transition to Squeeze, I managed to use my OS after 45 minutes.

Hello,
    So finally can recommend you two solutions:
    1. do the experiment with sync
    2. squeeze switch
    The trouble is that I do not know how to do and I do not know how long it will take me.

Hello,
    Can I afford to squeeze out that if Lenny was as stable as it is already stable and lenny in old-stable. It MUST install apt-listbugs before making the jump to squeeze. Finally is the humble opinion of an ignorant old conservative. Towards the end of the year, maybe (if I understood correctly). And if not, I turn now Squeeze, and I had no problems with bugs. Instead, my computer works better than under Lenny.