Thread: "Plugged in, not charging"

"Plugged in, not charging"

Hi all,

On sunday, I noticed that my battery icon was indicating "plugged in, not charging". I tried to get any bugs in my outlet, AC adapter, the brick between the two and the port on the laptop. I am running with G60 235X. I asked about the same problem to an HP tech support and they told me it's something in the PC that requires to be fixed, they said it's a "needle" inside.

I am unknown about this term. My battery is well and I am sure about this after organizing the test. I Googled the issue and it seems that several users having the same issue but there is no solution for it. Any suggestions from you guys ?

The problem that you described here can be solved and it will consume only 90 seconds to resolve it. It is the issue of battery charging . If the notebook battery is not going to be charge or the notebook does not shows up that the battery is charging, the most likely situation is that the battery itself is operating properlt, but its power management software has been destroyed. In order to fix the issues, you will requires to uninstall and reinstall the power management software from the heavy and very valuable section of the windows systems known as Device Manager. It includes the uninstall and reinstalling of ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to get and install updated BIOS files, if required to resolve other battery related problems.

Uninstalling and reinstalling power management

In order to fix the issues with the battery's power management software, you need to follow the instructions suggested with the steps below.

1. Right click on the My computer icon and choose properties.
    2. Select Hardware tab from the dialog box and then click on the button named as Device Manager .
    3. Browse the Batteries category.
    4. From Batteries category, right-click on the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and choose Uninstall option.

WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver that can increase the possibilities of more problems.

5. From the Device Manager taskbar, click on Scan for hardware changes .

Windows will perform the whole scanning of your computer for hardware that is not running with the installation proper drivers and will install the drivers required to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now show that the battery is charging.

That is very good suggestion and specially for me and I will say thanks for this! Just after 10 minutes ago , my battery indicates that "Plugged in, not charging", performed a google search, got some few "solutions", but they said something along the lines of "your battery is broken". Then after, I jumped on your post,The suggested steps,I followed and it works! To be honest, I don't think I have ever had a "bug" that was this simple to resolve.

Thank you.

Hi,
    Do you all have any advice for me regarding such issues. I am also running with close issue as Rastogi have and it is going on with my month old Acer Aspire 7540 installed with 64 bit Windows 7. Please could you advise me whether the guidelines with the proper steps given by Maxforu would work with Windows 7. I entered into the Device Manager and everything shows to be the same as listed but before I take the plunge I would appreciate confirmation.

If you are also running with the same issue then you need to try the same suggestion that is posted by Maxforu(simple and complete instruction, you can't get more than that from anywhere and In case, if you have tried it and find yourself unsuccessful then you need to move for another solution. First of all,close down your laptop and then pull out the battery from the bottom and put on your charger.Now, Open your laptop and then open your user after then close the laptop and take out the charger then after put the battery again on and then put the charger on and it should work in such scenario. In case, if it is not going successful then send me a message

I need to be sure that I followed you properly cause it didn't work and not sure what you suggested. So let me try to rephrase it.

1. With laptop off and battery in, close laptop, Pull out the battery and connect the AC adapter
    2. Boot up OS
    3. Close Laptop
    4. Disconnect AC Adapter and put the battery back in
    5. Connect AC adapter and then open up laptop
    6. On the Device Manager task-bar, click Scan for hardware changes .
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .

Is this proper, would you clarify the steps more that you suggested me. Thanks for your support.

Re: "Plugged in, not charging"

Hi, I'm running Vista Home Basic on a Dell inspiron 1525 notebook that's 12 months out of warranty. It's been doing the 'plugged in, not charging' for about 6 months now. My new Dell battery arrived and I popped it in and was horrified to see that the problem wasn't the battery ...

I've just tried Maxforu's suggestion and it didn't work for me.

I've also tried the close down, remove battery, run with ac/dc source, etc suggestion and that didn't work either. Help!

Thanks
    Miss G.

Re: "Plugged in, not charging"

If all the above replies are not working for you and you are still looking for some solution to resolve the issue then i will advise you to contact the Dell regarding the issue on the Dell Support Forum where Engineers are there to help you out. Just visit the same and see whether it is working for you or not.