Thread: Power Supply Issue with Dual Xeon Setup

Power Supply Issue with Dual Xeon Setup

Hi all,

Some time ago with our new server, requested a dual server configuration, and installation of dual CPU, refer to a variety of configurations, the final dual Xeon E5410 processors selected, the installation did not notice when they are dual-CPU compatibility, then use two days of discovery server instability, unexplained weight, the various settings are normal. But there are some power supply issue. I don't know waht's wrong with us.Any idea?? Please suggest.

Dual Xeon server in use, two-CPU system bus frequency must be consistent. In addition to work outside the frequency of each CPU's system bus frequency is not the same, such as 533MHz, 800MHz parameters, we selected a second time to refer to the original CPU bus frequency to choose between the two frequencies to be the same. CPU frequency and Cache are two important parameters, so installation of a second CPU, but also in these two parameters and the former agreement, the purchase of CPU when these parameters are explicitly make it clear businesses.

When the server is upgraded from a single CPU to dual CPU, if conditions allow the best to re-install the operating system, so as to ensure better coordination office two CPU, dual CPU or is likely to have no effect, the system or using a CPU processing data; or even if the two CPU to work together, but because the system compatibility problem of instability caused by the external provision of services. Reinstall the operating system to ensure that the two CPU is plugged into the motherboard, so the system can identify the host is a single-CPU or dual CPU. All the best.

Re: Power Supply Issue with Dual Xeon Setup

First quad-core processors need to integrate more Transistor. The number of traditional 90-nanometer Prescott core transistors made of a total of 100 million 25 million, the latest dual-core Woodcrest processor transistor size will exceed 300 million, apparently made of the traditional 90-nanometer quad-core can not meet the required transistor number, so the new generation of Intel quad-core processor must be made of 65-nanometer production. Check and reply.

I have DM64-2630DP server with Intel dual-core Xeon processor, new fully buffered memory up to support 16G. Support Raid0/1/10, integrated dual Gigabit LAN, and with I / O Acceleration Technology, Intel Virtualization Technology support, self-boot diagnostics. Standard 550-watt power supply, floppy drive, CD-ROM. This server is equipped with 80GB high-speed SATA hard drive, the system has taken place over hot-plug hard drive expansion, providing hot-swap programs, enabling online maintenance function. Intel Gigabit server configured with a network card, another professional chassis with 460W server power supply.

I would best the i7. It's just more competent. Don't overlook that those numbers are based on stock speeds. With my opinion, there's no hope of overclocking. Crash that i7 to an easy 3.8GHz you'd see analogous or better results as the dual Xeon setup.

If it has sufficient power on the +12V rail dedicated to the CPU power. If it's 18A, it should be very well if it's behind just the CPU's and not too much else. Each CPU is 80W, so you have a sum of 160W. If it's an 18A rail to provide for the CPU, I envisage you’re probably good on that end. (12V*18A=216W). Also, if it's been used for awhile, the age of it could be screw with you. It wouldn't hurt to try another power supply. It’s also possible there's an overheating issue that wants to be looked at with the heat sink installation. I checked out Asus site to see if there was a optional PSU list.