Thread: What is Optiarc region code Auto-Reset firmware?

What is Optiarc region code Auto-Reset firmware?

Hello friends, My desktop computer is installed with Windows Vista and has an Optiarc DVD drive connected to it. Recently I have heard about Auto-Reset firmware for Optiarc drives and hence was wondering What is Optiarc region code Auto-Reset firmware?. Can anybody here shed some light on this topic. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: What is Optiarc region code Auto-Reset firmware?

Auto-reset firmware is the new version of firmware which is available for the Optiarc digital drives. After installing this firmware update, the read/ write quality of the DVD/CD drives will improve. Post firmware installation the response time of the drive will also reduce tremendously. The auto-reset firmware are not available yet for the Optiarc drives.

From where we can get this firmware update for the Optiarc drive? The optiarc drive which I am currently using is giving lot of problems while reading and writing the data from the CD or DVD. Hence I think the Auto reset update will be very helpful in solving this problem. But will installing the firmware update solve the read/write quality? Please help

No installing the Auto-reset firmware update on the drive will not help you in improving the read/write quality of the drive. The Auto-reset firmware update for the optiarc drives are released to eliminate the need of additional softwares for reading different blocks on the DVD. The firmware update has nothing to do with Read/write quality of the drive.

The Auto-reset firmwares are available for all the new range of the optical drives which are released by Optiarc. The firmware update were first tested by some people and hence were not available for downloading. But now the testing is complete and the firmware is available on the official website of the Optiarc. Download the firmware update and install it on the Drive to remove the need for additional softwares which are required for reading different blocks of the DVD.

Thanks for the replying to the thread really fast. As suggested I downloaded the Auto-reset firmware update for the optiarc optical drive and installed it on the drive. The installation procedure was quick and easy, but now the drive is not getting detected by the computer. Now the Optiarc drive is shown as an Unknown drive. How to solve such problem?

I was also facing same problem with the Optiarc DVD drive after firmware upgradation. The computer did not detect the drive after firmware upgrade. I tried searching for the solution and found that after upgrading the firmware on the drive, there are some updated drivers to be installed on the computer. Hence search for the updated drivers for the model of the Optiarc drive which you are using and install it on the computer. After installing the appropriate drivers the drive will be detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawko View Post
    ...But now the testing is complete and the firmware is available on the official website of the Optiarc...
    Which site are your referring to, I have searched "www.sony-optiarc.eu" but cannot find the firmware?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz747 View Post
    Which site are your referring to, I have searched "www.sony-optiarc.eu" but cannot find the firmware?

Thanks,
    Can you tell us the exact make/model of your DVD Burner? Basically you will get a Modified NEC and Optiarc firmware from here. You can get all Optiarc DVD Burner firmwares and also some handy tools from that website. Also remember that firmware upgradation is kinda risky, so do it on your own risk.

T.J. I have an Optiarc BC-5500A. PC is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with 2GB ram and a 2GHz processor, OS is Vista Ultimate (Yeah, I know) SP 2. I installed it to replace the standard drive that came with the laptop. Current Firmware installed is v. 1.05.
    Last edited by Bazz747; 21-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.

I was also able to find Optiarc BC-5500A firmware from the original sony-optiarc.eu site, you can download it from here. Remember that you can only update from Firmware versions 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04. Previous firmware version(s) other than mentioned here are probably OEMs and therefore cannot be updated with this file.

Thanks ApPy10. As I stated, I have already installed v. 1.05 which is subsequent not prior to the versions you list, I don't think that will help. The drive was not an OEM that came with the PC, I bought and installed it later to enable BD playback.

Thanks.