Thread: USB drive only shows up as CDROM, and cannot format it

USB drive only shows up as CDROM, and cannot format it

I have a USB storage device and am not sure about the brand, it don't have on it, just says that "FPA Virtual Learning Center" on it, and when i plug this usb device to the computer, it says the USB drive has found, and shows up as a CDROM. The partition magic is not able to show it as a drive, only it shows my C: drive. When i try to type f: on the cmd, it says that something is not specifying a correct /fs switch by which it can specify the file system, so when i try to put in to the format f: /FS:FAT it asks for volume label. Please help me i am not able to use my usb drive..

Re: USB drive only shows up as CDROM, and cannot format it

I think you need to go and just buy a new USB stick. Your stick is diguised as CD-ROM. It needs a lot of the experience and the tools by which you can replace the firmware on that stick and then in order to make it a standard writable device. I have seen that there are A2 GB stick which is available for 4 Euro, so i think there is no need for that hassle. Hope you understand the proble..

I think there is a virus on your usb storage device which needs to be solved and removed the virus from your usb device. I was also having the same problem and at that time i updated my computer's antivirus and then when i scanned my computer and also usb data card, then you can be able to remove the virus infection.

I found the solution to my problem on a flemish website. You need to look for the "UFDUtility.exe" with the help of the Google, it is similar to the U3 utility. This has helped me to reallocate the memory from the CD-Rom part then to the free Flash drive part. This software also has some of the nifty setup features for your pendrive. Hope it helps you out. I guess you will solve your problem.

I think if you need to check out your pendrive or flash drive with the help of the security software that are available on the internet and you can have one of them for free. You can use USB Disk Security on your computer which can help you out for the problem which you are facing with your usb drive and also it will allow you to remove any of the unwanted files or virus file from the usb drive and solve your problem.