Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Dead Hard Drive: won't spin up

Hardware Peripherals

Old 29-04-2010

Dead Hard Drive: won't spin up

I am not able to power on my cabinet from the last two days. I just feel that the issue is with my Seagate hard drive. I have a 180 GB Seagate Hard drive which I am using on my cabinet that runs on Intel Core 2 Duo processor and Windows Vista operating system. When I power on my cabinet there is not message displayed. I guess the hard disk is not rotating and is dead. Is it so?

Old 29-04-2010

Re: Dead Hard Drive: won't spin up

The main reason for the failure of the hard disk is the power fluctuation. The other reason can be the static friction. The static friction will abide your hard disk head to read the data and the spindle to spin. The hard disk head gets stucked and thus the spindle cannot rotate causing the hard disk to stop from spinning.
Old 29-04-2010

The way I see I feel the hard-drive platter is not able to spin. So you will need enough force to get the platter spinning. Twisting your hard-drive in the same horizontal plane as the heads will usually free it. Once this is done. Connect back your hard-drive and check if it works. Hopefully this should do it.
Old 29-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawko View Post
The way I see I feel the hard-drive platter is not able to spin. So you will need enough force to get the platter spinning. Twisting your hard-drive in the same horizontal plane as the heads will usually free it. Once this is done. Connect back your hard-drive and check if it works. Hopefully this should do it.
Even my Samsung 160 gigs HDD is having the same problem. It used to earlier make a good loud noise on start-up and now the head has stuck and thus it is not spinning. I tried the mentioned troubleshooting step but that did not worked in my case.
Old 29-04-2010

Though you are describing it to be any issue with your hard disk not spinning I still prefer you to test the same drive on another machine. The reason can be that the hard drive is not getting the powers supply and which is why it is not spinning. My hard disk which was of Western Digital make did not worked on my computer but it worked when connected to another computer. So the issue was with my hard disk power cable.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,