Thread: DVI vs HDMI Picture Quality

DVI vs HDMI Picture Quality

Hello to everyone. I have recently bought the new Samsung LCD which is having the HDMI input. I want to know whether there is any difference between the Picture quality of the DVI and HDMI. I am not concern about the audio quality. I just want to know the details for the Picture Quality.

Re: DVI vs HDMI Picture Quality

Hello, if you are considering the difference between the DVI and HDMI then you will come to know that there is more similarity between them than the difference. Both of them perform the Digital Transmission. As the development of the HDMI is performed from the DVI, both of them are having the same specification. But, HDMI supports for the HDCP ie. the High Definition Content Protection. And also the HDMI support for the Audio in addition to the Digital video.

Hello, I dont think that the DVI and HDMI is having different picture quality. I have used the DVI digital video before and now I am making use of the HDMI picture from my ACER LCD. And I don't feel that they are having difference in their picture quality. So, if you are having DVI then don't buy new HDMI. Simply make use of the DVI. And if you are buying new one then simply make use of the HDMI, as it will simply give you audio also.

Hello, DVI stands for the Digital Visual Interface and it is having following points:
    • Development of the DVI performed by the DDWG.
    • Transmission of the signal depends on the version, either it would be analog or digital.
    • Most of the flat LCD and projector come up with this.
    • It is having DVI-A, DVI-D and DVI-I versions.
    • It is having series of pins in end.
    • It is not secure.
    • It will get affected due to the noise.

The High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a standard and interface audio / video to all-digital transmission of uncompressed encrypted flows. HDMI lets you connect an external audio / video DRM - As a reader Blu-ray, A computer or game console - with a compatible receiver - such as a TV HD. There are three types of connectors HDMI:
    • Type A is the most common and consists of 19 pin and is sufficient to display in 1080p with a multichannel
    • Type B is the equivalent of Dual-link DVI but that is partly made obsolete by version 1.3 of HDMI - which doubles the bandwidth on a cable type A. It is virtually absent from the market but could theoretically reach up transfers 20.4 Gbps.
    • Type C: appeared with HDMI 1.3 standard, type C is a compact version of the type A (thus 19 pins) specially dedicated to camcorders and digital cameras.

The DVI connection significantly improves the display quality compared to the VGA connection :
    • through separation of shades of color for each pixel: picture in sharp focus;
    • through transmission digital (Lossless) shades of color.

Here are three types of DVI ports:
    • DVI-A (DVI-Analog) Which transmits only the signal analog ;
    • DVI-D (DVI-Digital) Which transmits only the signal digital ;
    • DVI-I (DVI-Integrated) Which transmits (on separate pins) is the digital output from DVI-D devices, the analog signal from DVI-A (only one
      type of signal according to what is plugged in, without doing any conversion from one to another ).

Hello, you must need to use the HDMI as it is having the following Compatible video formats:
    SDTV (Standard Definition TV) :
    • 720 × 480i (standard compliant NTSC interlaced digital)
    • 720 × 576i (standard compliant PAL interlaced digital)

EDTV (Enhanced Definition TV Enhanced Resolution) :
    • 640 × 480p (VGA)
    • 720 × 480p (standard compliant NTSC, Progressive display)
    • 720 × 576p (standard compliant PAL, Progressive display)

HDTV (High Definition Television HD) :
    • 1280 × 720p ('720p")
    • 1920 × 1080i ("1080i")
    • 1080p 1920 × ("1080p")

techpeddu Guest

What is better? HDMI or DVI?

Let's first understand what they are. Both of them are standards for carrying digital signals between a source like your set top box or Blu-ray disc player and your TV. High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), which connects like USB, is a licensable audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed, encrypted digital streams. HDMI was derived from DVI. It has more bandwidth capability (5Gbps to 10Gbps). Unlike DVI, which needs a separate cable to carry audio, HDMI uses a single cable for video asnd audio making the cabling less bulky. Not just that, HDMI cables can go up to 15m length, giving you the flexibility to design your living room.

HDMI supports automatic screen format conversion. It can automatically convert a picture into its most appropriate format, such as a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios. HDMI produces pictures that are sharper and smoother (up to 1080pi resolution). Though DVI can produce similar picture quality, HDMI betters it in audio.

HDMI Vs DVI

If you are buying both HDTV and a video player like Blu-ray Disc player, I suggest you go for HDMI for both. You can free up your living room of messy cables that you find in other home theatres. You can use a single remote to operate all the devices connected and it provides the best video and audio. But if you already have one of a DVI source or DVI TV and then just go for a DVI for the other one as well because going for HDMI does not increase the overall quality of experience.

Overall, I recommend HDMI because it gives you better quality of video and audio, has lesser cables and gives you the universal remote control. Add the DRM (Digital Rights Management) angle to it, HDMI may well be the standard in days to come.

peddu
    hostcat.com