Thread: External HDD Problem in Snow Leopard

External HDD Problem in Snow Leopard

Hello, I have a my personal notebook and i have installed a MAC OS X Snow Leopard on it. Actually there is many things that are not needed on my computer and i want to format it and want to make partitions in an external hard drive. I am getting an error saying that the operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory. Does anybody know about this problem?

Re: External HDD Problem in Snow Leopard

I have a similar kind of problem on my computer system. I have installed two operating systems on it, One is MAC OS X Snow Leopard and the another one is Windows Xp SP2. Actually when i get an error "The operation couldn't be completed. Cannot allocate memory" then i have to use Windows Operating system to initialize the hard drive or else i will never see my MAC OS on my hard drive.

I would like to ask you that does your driver format goes okay for the MAC OS X by using an Disc Utility before you have installed another one which is SL i guess. Because it could be the problem of something wrong while uninstalling an older version. If it is a new one then i think you should mention the make & model number for the drive so that it would helping others to resolve your issue more easily. I would like to check the same as it depends on it that would it be supporting a dual OS on it or not.

Even i have the same problem on my desktop computer and have seen that it there is not partition to delete as i thought i have to delete the partition first which in fact can be formatted. But as there is not partition to remove i have got confused that how do i create the partitions for my Mac Os X now?

Though i have never tried to format the drive by using Mac or Disk Utility. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda and the model number of this drive is ST3120022A, 120GB 7200RPM. I tried to find out the update for its firmware but did not got anything on their official website. What i found was a windows drivers which was not at all helpful.

I am not sure that is it going to help you or not bu i think you should at least try it once. First of all format the drive as MS-DOS and do not use quick format option in drive manager and then plug it back to your mac and now format it again as MAC IS X. Now try to connect with the SL and format it as mac os. You may use zero out erase from the disk utility in Snow leopard if all of the above gets failed.