Thread: Unable to change critical Battery level stuck at 98%

Unable to change critical Battery level stuck at 98%

I have connected my desktop computer with an APC Backups 550 ES. When i lost my power connection in next day, my computer got in to Hibernate Mode. Normally i should be getting five to ten minutes to shut down the computer system. I checked in an advanced power settings and found that low battery was set to the 90% with 'Do Nothing' and Critical Battery level was set to 98% with 'Hibernate'. When i change the settings of Critical Battery level it again comes back at 98% after pressing the Apply button.

Re: Unable to change critical Battery level stuck at 98%

I think the windows 7 operating system on your computer is misreading the UPS device which you are using. And the reason behind this mistake could be an installed driver software within Windows. I do not have any ideas as for what reason it is showing you the 98% and why can not it be changed.

Thank you so much for raising this topic as i am having the same problem with my Windows 7 build 7100. Because most of the battery's condition are hardly seen at 98%. Is any kind of power cut off or an under voltage setting it to the hibernate. I am going to unplug the USB from my UPS so it does not gets OFF when my power gets cut.

I was having the same problem and i have found some solution as follows but i can not guarantee that it would be working for you.
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes.
    • Edit the permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes. Go to Advanced -> Owner, and check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Click ok.
    • Go to Advanced again, check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object". Click ok.
    • Now you should be able to change the values without problem from Power Options.
    Last edited by Fabian; 02-04-2010 at 06:50 AM.

1. I uninstalled PowerChute and then the "APC Battery BackUP" driver that it leaves behind (ie. Uninstalled the UPS device from Device Manager with the delete driver option checked).
    2. Scanned for Hardware changes and ensured the UPS was using the Windows default "HID UPS Battery" driver.
    3. Turned off my PC and disconnected it from the UPS.
    4. Turned off the UPS and disconnected it from the mains power.
    5. Disconnected the battery from the UPS.
    6. Powered on the UPS while it is w/o battery and mains power. The unit powered on, switched to battery, and powered off lacking any available power, thus draining any power left stored in it's internal circuitry, and hopefully clearing any internal memory. (I left it like this for a few minutes for good measure).
    7. Reconnected the battery and all power connections.
    8. Restarted system, reset all battery levels to preferred values, tested, and found everything to be in working order.
    9. Shredded PowerChute CD, and deleted any downloads.

I had the same problem: I could not change "Critical Battery Level" in Windows 7 Power Options. My UPS is APC Back-UPS Pro 550 (BR550GI). And I found a solution to the problem - it's just need to power off UPS and unplug power cord from AC outlet, and wait approximately 20 minutes. There is no need to disconnect battery in UPS!

To choose the low power levels and critical
    1. To open the Power Options, click the button On Control Panel, On System Maintenance, Then Power Options.
    2. In the page Select a mode of power management, Click Edit mode settings under the administration of food selected.
    3. In the page Edit mode settings, Click Change advanced power settings.
    4. Tab Advanced Settings, Expand Battery, Low battery and Critical battery level and select the percentage you want for each level.
    5. Click OK to save the changes, then click Close Page Edit mode settings.