Thread: Medical Transcriptionist needs way to enhance sound quality

Medical Transcriptionist needs way to enhance sound quality

I am a medical transcriptionist and need a way to enhance the quality of the voice files I transcribe. These are wav and dss files that were originally recorded either through a telephone dictation system or with a handheld dictation device.

I have a Dell 8300 desktop (6 years old) with a Creative Audigy 2 Soundblaster sound card. My sound card has a 3-band equalizer with volume, treble, and bass. I would like a 10-band equalizer in order to further fine-tune the sound quality.

I currently have Labtec speakers ($20.00) that plug into the back of PC with Audio-Technica headphones ($100.00) that plug into the speaker jack. Speaker is on my desk because I have to have access to volume control at all times.

Which method do you think would give me the best sound quality and enhancing capabilities.

1) Equalizer software

2) USB sound card with 10-band equalizer.

3) Upgrade in speakers.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Last edited by rupesh; 29-03-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Re: Medical Transcriptionist needs way to enhance sound quality

Well, if spending some $ isnt causing you any trouble then I would recommend why dont you first try buying some Equalizer software's to see if your headphones and speakers give you good output. In any case playing with the bit rate of the original sound files always hampers the quality of sound files. If that fails then try the USB sound card with 10-band equalizer, if that doesnt works either then consider upgrading your speakers.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I wasn’t sure if equalizer software even worked.....haven't even heard of it until recently. The only equalizer software I have come up with is the WebEQ XP by Blaze Audio. If there is a better one....someone please let my know. Again, many thanks.

I have looked for your query and come up with the some of the good Equalizer Software that will help you for the same that will help you for the conversion. The best in all is known as the "Dexster Audio Editor 3." which has got the highest ranking for the quality. You can also Magix Music Maker, WavePad, GoldWave Digital Audio Editor, Blaze Media Pro. Thats all i have got. Hope you will like it.

I appreciate you answering SO very much. I haven't been successful in getting a trial of WebEQ XP by Blaze Audio to work. I'll go check out the ones you mentioned. Thanks a million...you made my day!