Thread: How to disable some of RAM

How to disable some of RAM

I am using a dell desktop computer installed with windows 7. I have planning to purchase a software application which i want to use with my other older system too which just have 1 GB of RAM. Since my older system is currently not in working condition i cannot test it with it. My new system is installed with 2 GB of RAM and the application is running with it quiet comfortably is there a way by which i can reduce some RAM memory and check it with my newer system.

Re: How to disable some of RAM

The simplest way to disable some of the ram on your system is to remove it temporarily from the mother board. It would be easy if you are using two memory stick of 1 GB each. simply open your cabinet and then remove one of the memory stick of 1 gb this will make the system to work with only 1 GB.

First of all i would like to know whether you are using a single memory stick of 2 GB or two memory stick of 1 GB each. Because if you are using 2 different memory stick then i think removing one of the ram will decrease the RAM memory of your system to 1 gb. Now you can check the application on your system.

Thanks for the reply but none of the above solution seemed helpful since on my system only a single RAM of 1 GB is installed. Can you tell me whether there is another way to achieve this i need to check this urgently. Please suggest me a different way by which i can try to achieve this objective.

Click Start, type Msconfig in the Run box and confirm with Enter. In the window that appears, select the tab Start and click Advanced Options. Select then Memory Maximum. The amount of RAM installed will appear in the message Box. Type the value of memory you want to leave. Caution: Do never get below 512 MB, the PC becomes very slow and unstable. Finally, press twice OK.

Windows asks you to restart the PC. Once the system restarted, open the Control Panel and double-click on System. In line Installed Memory (RAM)You read now two figures: the total physical memory and that current available (4 GB and 1 GB In the example shown below cons). To go back all the RAM used, repeat these manipulations striking this time, the total size of RAM installed in the field.