Thread: External hard drive enclosure for laptop

External hard drive enclosure for laptop

Hi,
    Where to get a nice hard drive enclosure for databackup. I have a 500GB additional SATA drive. This additional hard drive can be utilized as data backup solution. For this I am looking for a portable and nice enclosure. The enclosure that my friend has is not responding on my Dell laptop. What should you recommend for this. Which is a nice external SATA hard drive enclosure.

Re: External hard drive enclosure for laptop

Might be the cable of enclosure what you are using is faulty. Try to change that. There are many enclosures online which offers you a stylish aluminum look and usb 2.0 firewire support. You can just connect the same on your usb which works smoothly with any system. There is a ac adapter provided with each enclosure to provide power to the hard drive. Do not forget to connect that one.

I will recommend you to go for enclosure from cooldrives site. They offers a variety of different typs of enclosure. You must look for a portable size first with a 3.5" IDE support. The normal enclosure supports SATA/SATA II/SATA III and all ATAPI devices. So that makes this tool quiet a easy and efficient one. The enclosure must have USB 2.0 support with iLink port.

Have you head about OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure. This one is a quiet popular product and works most with all type system. It is a nice less costly tool for external drives enclosures. It offers you dual drive enclosure with dual esata external and internal interface. The speed offered by this enclosure is 3 gigbytes per second. You can also use this with a external RAID Array.

OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosure is nice option but there are some negative points of the same. First if you want to use this with RAID then you need the software which it has. Otherwise this will not work. You need to provide a external power supply for this. There is not firewire or usb interface provided in this enclosure. So this make this less useful on multiple system.

For me also Mercury Elite Pro enclosure looks somewhat useful for backing up your system. First of all it provides you a dual hard drive support which is not available in most of the driver. It gives you a high speed 3 Gb/s second speed which is optimum for taking fast backup. Almost all enclosures work with the pc suite type software provided by them.