Thread: HP DV6308nr does not detect wifi signal

HP DV6308nr does not detect wifi signal

Well trying to fix my brothers laptop, I installed Windows 7 a few months back everything went smooth...last week he tells me he was surfing the net thru wifi had to leave for a few minutes so he closed his laptop, upon returning he could not get his laptop to recognize wifi signal again. I brought it home automatically thinking he flipped the switch well not sure which way should be on the on position but either way still does not work.

I had an old hp laptop so i switch the wifi card inside since it was the same part # and still I can not get it to show up under devices, at one point with the old one I would get a ? under the network devices but did not recognize the card, tried installing the card drivers but still does not seem to take them. Also tried going thru boot menu to see if I could turn the wifi on and couldn't find anything....

oh the hp wifi helper will not run for some reason no matter how much i try... is there a way i can switch the wifi back to on? a key combination, get process started or which way should the switch be for the on position? running windows 7 basic edition.

Thanks in advance.
    QVO R.I.P.

Re: HP DV6308nr does not detect wifi signal

Are you by any chance running Norton Internet Security? If so, then try to remove or uninstall it and reboot and check whether you can turn on your wifi? A person was also having similar problem and he usually killed some of the processess of the Norton running and voila that did the trick for him. Hope that helps you too.

T.J.,

No I'm not running Norton, only Microsoft's virus program which I installed since day one on that machine. You think it could be that after a ms update the drivers for the wifi stopped working.

I have tried removing the wifi lil card from the motherboard and installing it again running detect new hardware, but it does not recognize it. I have tried it with both of the cards I have.
    QVO R.I.P.

Try reverting back to a time when your wifi was running fine and for that use system restore. To do a System Restore follow the below methods:

1. You will have to first press F8 when your computer starts.
    2. Then you have to choose System Recovery which should be the first option
    3. You will be prompted for user name password which should be an administrator account.
    4. Next you will get 5 ways of making a restore : Startup repair, System Restore, Windows complete pc restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and Command prompt