Thread: Rtkvac.sys of Realtek HD Audio Missing in Windows 7

Rtkvac.sys of Realtek HD Audio Missing in Windows 7

Hi friends,
    I have recently installed the Windows 7 operating system. I have installed the sound drivers of the Realtek AC'97. After downloading when I am trying to install I am getting the message as "Rtkvac.sys missing". I have tried to install other drivers also but they are not working for the Windows 7. Please help me to guide properly so that I can enjoy the sound.!!

Re: Rtkvac.sys of Realtek HD Audio Missing in Windows 7

I would like to suggest you to follow the steps that are mentioned below :
    1. First go to the Control Panel and then click on Sounds.
    2. Check whether your Sound/Audio Device is having AC97 or HD Audio.
    3. Then double click on it, then click on drivers tab and note down the version.
    4. Click on Update Drivers.
    5. If nothing happens then right click on it and select Uninstall option.
    6. Let the system reboots, resulting into rebuilding of the driver stack.

Hope that following the above steps may fix your problem of sound device.

I think that the original file for the Realtek HD Audio that you have installed might have corrupted. That's why there are errors of file missing while installing the drivers. Try to install that specific file from another site. I would recommend you to install it from the realtek site which would be helpful. After downloading the another file make sure that you remove an existing drivers of sound before installing new drivers. Because many times it happens that new files of sound cannot overwrite the older files.

Are you sure that the file that you are downloading is for the Windows 7 operating system. Don't forget to select the operating system, otherwise if it is for another operating system then it will not work in Windows 7. Also make sure that your onboard audio is having realtek HD audio chip and nothing other. If its Realtek, then you can download the drivers from the Realtek website.

Even I would like to suggest that you should download the drivers from the Realtek site. If you want the Realtek HD Audio, then go to Realtek Drivers You will have to click the option box that has appeared. Then the page will load and you will have to download the following :
    Vista, Windows7 Driver(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file) R2.42 2010/2/12 54813k
    If you are having a realtek AC97 chip onboard then you need to download this, Realtek Drivers In this, you will have to download :
    Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file) 6305 2009/9/7 30396k

Have you tried to check by running the DiskCleanup. Because after running the DiskCleanup, it clears corruption and repair/replace damaged/missing system files. So it might be helpful for you. All you have to do is click on Start, Then All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and then Disk Cleanup. Also try to update the drivers that you have installed for the sound device. If nothing is working, then try to repair your operating system. There are less chances of fixing this error by repairing the operating system but still you can try it.

can you please describe better the second step? thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by dragomir View Post
    can you please describe better the second step? thanks)
    Can you tell go to Control Panel - Device Manager - SOUNDS and look for Sound/Audio Device - Are you sure your's is AC97 and not HD Audio? Give us the proper description of the make and model - double click on it - drivers tab - write down version. Now Click update Drivers which may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers. Then RIGHT CLICK on it and UNINSTALL - REBOOT - this will rebuild the driver stack.