Thread: Dvd drive freezes in Windows 7

Dvd drive freezes in Windows 7

Hello everyone, I have desktop computer which had Windows Xp installed on it which I upgraded to Windows 7 recently but after upgradation of the operating system, the Dvd drive freezes in Windows 7. Whenever I try to read a DVD from the drive, the computer freezes completely and I have to manually restart the computer. I cant figure what is causing such problem and hence any suggestions regarding the problem are welcome.

Re: Dvd drive freezes in Windows 7

May be the operating system on the computer is not updated properly and hence you are facing such problems. The operating system of the computer has lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which are associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore I would suggest that, you try and reinstall the operating system on the system. Insert the installation disk and boot the system from the drive. Either select the Repair installation option or reinstall the windows completely. Once done you will not face the same problem again.

Check the DVD which you are trying to read. It is possible that the DVD which you are trying to read has lot of scratches due to which the system is unable to read the data on it and hence is getting stucked. The DVD drive has to put lot of efforts to read the disks with scratches and holes. Therefore check the disk and if it has scratches then discard it and use some other disk to check the DVD drive of the computer. If while reading the other DVD's, system freezes then you will have to replace the DVD drive as it may be faulty.

The earlier releases of Windows 7 operating system have lot of compatibility issues. Due to this incompatibility issues, many devices do not work properly on Windows 7. The main reason for incompatibility issue is unavailability of appropriate drivers for the device. Hence I would suggest you to go to the official website of the manufacturer and download the latest drivers which are available for the device which you are using and which is supported by Windows 7. Download the drivers and then install it on the computer. After installing appropriate drivers, the DVD drive will work properly.

By looking at the problem it looks like the DVD drive is not getting enough power while reading the disk and hence the system is freezing. The power supply unit of the computer is responsible for providing correct level of voltages to all the devices which are connected to it. If the power supply unit is not able to provide correct voltage levels to all the devices then the device will freeze up due to power fluctuation. Therefore get the power supply unit of the computer checked by some technician and see if the power rating of the power supply unit is enough for the configuration of the computer. If required change the power supply unit and see if it helps.