Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot access files on external hard drive

Hardware Peripherals

Old 17-03-2010

Cannot access files on external hard drive

I attached a Iomega Professional 1TB external hard drive to a Dell laptop that I use for work. The files that I copied to the external hard drive were originally encrypted but I had than decrypted before I performed the copy. I have no problems accessing any of the files on the external hard drive.

I now received a new laptop computer from my company and I have everything hooked up. I then attached the external hard drive and it was recognized and I could view all the folders. However, when I try to access any of the files within any folder, I receive a 'denied access' dialog.

I have done the following - all to no avail:
* I started the computer in safe mode and attempted to copy the files and this didn't work and I received the same error message
* I have turned off and on the file sharing with no success
* I have gone into the properties, then under security, to advanced and then owner and it does show me as the owner
* I have unchecked/removed the 'green fill' in the read only attributes in the general tab under properties

So I fire up the old laptop then hook up the external hard drive and I have no problems accessing any files.

So what do I need to do in order to access the files on the external hard drive and copy them to my new computer?

Old 18-03-2010

Re: Cannot access files on external hard drive

Hello there, the following threads will provide you with the solution for the issue that you cannot access files on external hard drive:
  1. Files not accessible on an External Hard drive
  2. http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/985839.htm
  3. cannot access file on external hard drive
Old 18-03-2010

Thanks for the links. I went to each one of them and they either don't match the problems that I have or these are fixes I have already tried to no avail. Thanks anyways.
Old 18-03-2010
andrewkevin

My advice is contact the customer care support people of iomega, and am sure you will get the answer.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Hardware Peripherals
Tags: , ,