Thread: How to replace a hard disk with a SSD?

How to replace a hard disk with a SSD?

Hello, i have been using this computer from last 4 years and now i feel that my hard disk in just not enough for me so i have decided to replace my hard drive with the SSD as my friend have done it. Actually i do not know how to do it so can you people tell me that how to replace hard disk with SSD?

Re: How to replace a hard disk with a SSD?

SSDs are often delivered with a cloning tool, here Acronis True Image HD to transfer his data from his old hard drive to SSD. For this operation to happen, your data should not weigh more than 85% of the capacity of the SSD. You may need to transfer your documents (photos, movies, music, ...) on an alternative storage medium as an external hard drive, DVD, etc. Once the cloning done and said the DSS as primary drive, you can put these files on your hard drive.

Provide space on hard disk & Install the DSS.

At first, you must free up space on your hard drive to transfer your data on the SSD.
    1. To know the size occupied on your current hard drive, double click the Computer icon.
    2. Click the right button mouse on your hard drive and choose the Properties command.
    3. Used Space field shows you the space currently used by your data.
    4. If you occupy too much space, move your documents on an external hard drive or DVDs and uninstall software and games you have the support of resettlement.

Installing DSS:
    You'll now be able to put the SSD in your computer.
    1. Shut down your computer and unplug its power.
    2. Open it.
    3. Attach the adapter from 2.5 to 3.5 inches on the SSD.
    4. Insert it into a bay of 3.5 inches of available housing of your computer. Screw it.
    5. Connect one end of the SATA cable provided to a SATA connector on your motherboard.
    6. Connect the other end of the cable SATA hard drive.
    7. Then plug a power cable free DSS.
    8. Close the box and reconnect.

Boot an Acronis True Image HD.

The software Acronis True Image HD will allow you to transfer your existing system from your old hard drive to your new SSD.
    • Start your computer.
    • Insert in your CD player comes with the DSS.
    • Your computer then boots the CD and so on Acronis True Image HD. If this is not the case, you must change the boot order in BIOS in order to place your CD / DVD head.
    • Click on the icon Acronis True Image HD.

Clonning process.

1. Click Clone Disk. If the mouse is not recognized, move with the Tab key and confirm with Enter.
    2. Click Next.
    3. Select Automatic and click Next.
    4. Select the source hard drive that contains Windows and where you made the household. Click Next.
    5. Select how the DSS destination. Click Next.
    6. Select Delete partitions on the destination hard disk to delete the existing data on the SSD and click Next.
    7. The software then shows you the structure of your disks before and after cloning. Click Next.
    8. Finally, click on the button Proceed.
    9. The partition of your hard drive containing your data is copied and then reduced on the SSD. The copy may take several minutes. Click OK.
    10. Remove the True Image CD HD and restart your computer.

Booting from the DSS and use HDD.

Your hard drive and your SSD now contain the same data. You must then tell you which system to use. When you start your computer, press the Delete key to enter the BIOS of your computer. Caution, this key is different for different manufacturers (F1, F2, F10, F12 or Tab). Open the Startup tab. Select Hard Disk Drives and press Enter. Select the first drive and press Enter. Then select the SSD and press Enter. Press F10 and then click OK to save changes.

Now you may go using your Hard Disk. Windows will then start on the SSD. Your old hard drive can now be used as a storage drive for backup. You'll need to empty it. In Windows Explorer, click right mouse on your old hard drive and select the Format command. Then click on Start and then click OK to start formatting. Finally, click Close. You can then place on your hard disk files and documents saved before cloning into the DSS.