Thread: Problems with Canon MX860 Multifunction printer

Problems with Canon MX860 Multifunction printer

My Canon multifunction printer is not working properly. I have a desktop computer which is running on Windows Xp operating system. The computer is connected to the Canon multifunction printer. The problem is while I am on call, the Canon MX860 suddenly starts scanning of some documents and because of it the call in progress gets disconnected. During this time if the printer is tried to switched off, it does not work. Therefore if anybody else is facing similar Problems with Canon MX860 Multifunction Fax then please share some information about the same. Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems with Canon MX860 Multifunction printer

All the computer which are connected to the computer require set of drivers to be installed on the computer to make the device work properly. If the appropriate drivers for the printer are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers for the printer are installed and working properly on the computer, Right click on my computer and go to device manager. Highlight the installed printer and check if there are any caution signs against it. If there are any caution signs, then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help then try and update the drivers for the device.

Sometimes the firmware of the printer gets stuck due to which the printer becomes unresponsive. If such situation occurs then the printer will either be not accessible to the computer or the printer will work weirdly. You will have to bring the printer out of the loop. To bring the printer out of the loop, you will have to reset the printer. To reset the printer, power on the printer and then press the power and paper feed button together. Keep the buttons pressed till all the LED's on the printer glow. Release the buttons and then let the printer restart. Check if the printer is working properly after restarting.

I suspect that the computer is infected with some kind of virus because of which you are facing such problem. Virus's get downloaded while visiting certain website or while downloading some data from the computer. Also some virus's have the tendency of getting linked with the files of the application which are frequently used. If such a situation occurs then the application will not work properly. Therefore scan the system with some antivirus and check for the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then check if the printer is working properly or not. Do not delete any infected files as it may cause total system failure.

I was also facing the same problem with my Canon multifunction printer. It used to start printing or scanning during calls. This was creating lot of problems and hence I decided to find a solution. After searching a lot, I found that there was some problem with the firmware of the printer due to which the printer was not working properly. I got the firmware of the printer updated and now the printer works absolutely fine. Therefore I would suggest you to get the firmware of the printer updated and then see if the printer works properly or not.