Thread: Error message 0502 on Dell A940 printer

Error message 0502 on Dell A940 printer

Hello there, I have a Dell desktop computer which is installed with Windows Xp operating system. The desktop computer came with Dell A940 printer which is connected to the computer using a USB cord. From past few days I am not able to print using my printer. As soon as I give print command, an error message pops up saying "Error 502". Therefore I want to know how to fix Error message 0502 on Dell A940 printer on dell desktop. Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Error message 0502 on Dell A940 printer

Check the cord connecting the printer to the computer. You have mentioned that you are using USB cord to connect the printer to the computer. USB cords tend to get faulty because of several reasons. USB cord consist of Lines of conductors which can get damaged due to improper storage and handling. If any of the conductor gets damaged then the cord will not function properly. Also the connectors of the cord can get damaged because of the same reason. If the connecting cord is faulty then the communication between the computer and the printer will not be proper and hence you are getting the error. Try changing the cord and see if the printer works.

Check if the drivers for the printer are installed and working properly on the computer. All the devices which are connected to the computer, require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer so that the device works properly. If appropriate drivers for the printer are not installed then the device will not work properly. To check if the drivers are installed and working properly, right click on My computer and then click on Manage. Select device manager and highlight the installed printer. If there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help then try and update the drivers for the printer.

Try resetting the printer and see if it helps. Sometimes the firmware of the printer gets stuck due to which the printer becomes unresponsive. When the printer becomes unresponsive the computer will not be able to give print command to the printer. To bring back the printer back to working state, you will have to reset the printer. To reset the printer, power on the printer. Now press the power and paper feed button together and keep it pressed till all the LED's on the printer glow. Once all the LED's on the printer glows, release the button and then power on the printer again. Now check if you are able to use the printer.

The printer which you are has some hardware problems due to which you are not able to print using the printer. The error message 0502 which you are getting is an indication that the printer is facing some problems with its hardware. I would suggest you to call the dell support or take the printer to some nearest authorized service center. Get the printer checked by the technician. The technician will examine the printer and will let you know what exactly the problem is. If the printer is faulty then you will have to replace the printer.

The error which you are getting is very common problem of Lexmark printers. The Dell printers are made by Lexmark and hence you are facing the problem. Check the metal bar on which the cartridge slot is placed, try moving the cartridge slot over the metal bar and see if the movement is smooth. If the metal bar is not lubricated properly then the cartridge slot will get stuck and will giver error 0502. Also check if the plastic strip between the metal bar and the conveyor belt is correctly placed in the slot. If the plastic strip is misplaced then also it will give the same error. Check both this possibilities and I am sure that you will not face the same error.