Thread: Dell dimension 4600 keeps shutting down

Dell dimension 4600 keeps shutting down

Hello, I have a Dell dimension 4600 desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP operating system. The computer is connected to the Internet connection. Recently my Dell dimension 4600 keeps shutting down. I can only use the computer for about 20 minutes. Whenever the system is booted, it gives an generic host error and says that the computer will shut down in 20 minutes. I cant figure out what is the problem and hence need your help in solving the issue. Please help.
    Last edited by KABIRA16; 19-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Re: Dell dimension 4600 keeps shutting down

By looking at the problem it looks like the operating system on the computer is not working properly. Generally all the problems which are related to the computer restarting and shut down are because of the operating system failure. It is possible that the operating system on the computer has got corrupt due to which the computer is shutting down. If you have the install disk of the operating system which you are using, insert it in the drive and boot the system from the installation disk. Reinstalling the windows will solve the problem.

All the functions of the computer are controlled by the motherboard. If the motherboard itself is faulty then the computer will either start restarting or will keep shutting down. I suspect that you motherboard is faulty which is causing the computer to shut down. Get the motherboard checked by some technician. If the motherboard is faulty then there is no other option than to change the motherboard of the computer. Once the motherboard is changed you will not face the same problem.

Have you uninstalled some application lately? If yes then it could be the reason for such weird behavior of the computer. Some applications use the files of the operating system for its working. If such a software is uninstalled later then it will also remove the system files which are used by the application. I think the uninstallation of some application has deleted some of the system files from the computer due to which you are facing such problems. Try and replace the files which are missing on the computer.

I think you have accidentally started the automatic shutdown timer of Windows Xp. There is a feature in windows Xp which helps the user to shut the computer down after some time. If this feature is enabled on the computer then the system will shut itself down at some specified time. Check if the timer is enabled on the computer. If it is enabled then you will have to disable the timer. To disable the auto shut down timer, click on the start menu and select run. Type "shutdown -a" in the run tab and hit enter. See if the computer shuts down after entering this command.

Scan the computer with some updated antivirus as it could be infected with some virus. Virus's get downloaded on the computer while viewing certain website or while downloading some data from the internet. Virus's have the tendency to link with the files of the operating system. If such a situation occurs then the operating system will not work properly. Hence scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected and then see if the problem persist or not.