Thread: Mac : A valid DVD drive could not be found

Mac : A valid DVD drive could not be found

Hi,

I have done a updates few day's ago and the same day, when I was try to use my DVD player, I had a problem , "There was an initialization error. A valid DVD drive could not be found[-70012]" . I'm running on an iMac from 10.4.11 . The DVD player no longer works after the update. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Re: Mac : A valid DVD drive could not be found

Repair your disk permissions after starting from a volume (hard drive) that contains Mac OS X Mac OS X software Rather than from an installation disc of Mac OS X. The software updates Mac OS X users can change permissions on some files to improve security. When this happens, the version of Disk Utility in Mac OS X volume is updated to reflect the new permits. Running Disk Utility while started from Mac OS X volume ensures preservation of the changes made by software updates.

In Mac OS X, Disk Utility can verify the disk (volume) of starting your computer without having to boot from another volume. This feature is called "direct verification". If Disk Utility detects any problem that needs repair, you must boot your computer from the installation DVD of Mac OS X and Use Disk Utility with that record to make adequate reparations.

The Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on an operating system like UNIX, which uses Permissions in the file system. Each of the files and folders on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write and execute it. Below is an example of the operation and meaning of the permissions for an AppleWorks document:

* Read (r -)
    It can open an AppleWorks document if you have read permission.

* Write (-w-)
    You can save changes to an AppleWorks document if you have write permission.

* Execute (- x)
    It can open an AppleWorks document if you have execute permission. This permit is only required for applications and executable files.

In some cases, errors in the file system can prevent the computer starts. This can occur after an improper shutdown, forced a reboot or a power failure. If your computer shows any of the following symptoms when starting, using a disk utility to repair: The computer boots, but not quite, and displays a command line in a text-only environment. You may see this message:file system dirty, run fsck". Below the message will see the so called" command-line indicator, identified by the hash (#), that lets you enter commands manually. If you see the command line, you have to run fsck.

Test your DVD drive with Disk Utility, to do this follow the steps below :

1. Boot the installation disc of Mac OS X: insert the disc and then restart the computer while pressing the "C".
    2. When your computer finishes starting up from disk, choose Disk Utility menu Installer. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must first choose the language).
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you will have to start from the disc to access Disk Utility.
    3. Click the First Aid tab.
    4. Click the triangle to the left of the icon of the hard drive to see the names of disk volumes and partitions.
    5. Select the hard disk volume in Mac OS X.
    6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Happy Re: Mac : A valid DVD drive could not be found

I have had the same problem with my drive not working. I tried everything and then I held my power button down till the light on my iMac started flashing really fast and then it made a loud tone noise. AND IT WORKED!! YEAH