Thread: Use Time Capsule as external hard drive?

Use Time Capsule as external hard drive?

Hi all,

I just bought a 1TB Time Capsule. I have a MacBook purchased in July 2009 with Mac OS X 10.5.8. At home, we're connected via Wi-Fi ADSL modem via Linksys and Netgear. So for my Time Capsule connects to the Internet, I connected an Ethernet cable between the modem and the Time Capsule, I plugged my USB cable from the printer, I turned on the Time Capsule and ... nothing. The LED blinks orange for both wi-fi networks.

Apparently, Apple should have specified in the instructions how he should do to set up a TC for internet when you already use a Wi-Fi!

So my question is how to configure internet on my TC via these modems.

Thanks for help.

Re: Use Time Capsule as external hard drive?

You have read this manual ?

You do not have 2 modems, you have my opinion, a modem and not a router? One is to have interest, another dispatch network between different devices connected.

Then, two modems that are connected to one line. We bought the second modem so that I can use the network in the apartment next door. I had difficulty expressing myself, yes! In doing some research I noticed that some people already using Wi-Fi via their LiveBox or another, would remove the WiFi created by the box for the network to be distributed by the TC: roughly, it is the TC or the Box! Unfortunately, this is my Dad who takes care of it all. That's why I use the TC for its primary function: a disk drive. So, USB cable or not?

In fact, a Time Capsule is nothing but a network hard drive with Ethernet and wireless, coupled with a disk based wireless terminal. Nothing more. We can use Disk Utility to partition the disk. And we do not use the USB port as a port of entry on the disk, but only as output port, so it allows you to connect a printer accessible by all computers connected to the Time Capsule. Online mode Ethernet or wireless mode, but it can not handle this disc as a conventional disk. It is a network drive, period.

Especially the beautiful words of Apple who are spending more for an external hard drive than as a network drive!

Before the sell on Ebay, there's really no other alternative? Must necessarily be connected to the Internet to use TC?

A Time Capsule is rather a WiFi router/Ethernet hub with a hard drive inside. So it is a network device, but can be used as a WiFi access point or Ethernet hub, regardless of storage media. In fact, Time CapsuleIs a terminal AirPort Extreme with a hard drive inside, simply. The USB port can be used to connect a printer, but also an external hard drive to make it accessible network (as is the hard disk drive to the Time Capsule) to the Time Capsule server file available on the local network (and even via the Internet if the LAN is configured). The Time Capsule is a network hard drive, meaning that its content is accessible through a network (Ethernet or AirPort / WiFi), but not direct (USB).