Thread: How to remove password from Seagate Momentus hard disk

How to remove password from Seagate Momentus hard disk

I am stuck with the password problem. I am having a Seagate Momentus 100GB hard disk. It was given to me but right now i am unable to use this hard disk because it prompts me for a password all the time whenever I try to boot it. I tried to plug in by a USB connection but it was not able to show up in my computer. It is shown up in the disk management but i cannot make any changes or modify anything or unable to format it. What to do with such kind of problem, i need to some help to get it work. Is there any program so that I can use to vanish it and reinstall my windows Xp.

Re: How to remove password from Seagate Momentus hard disk

I don't know why it exactly prompt you for the password whenever you try to boot it, have you set a password for your hard disk earlier. I think you should try to go into the the BIOS and see if there is some option available to "reset the passwords". I have seen that it is available on some of the BIOS for some computers and not for others, i think you may be having this kind of option available in youer computer, if it is there then try to change the setting of your hard disk.

I think your drive is locked by ATA security password. From my point of view if you try to contact Seagate, i suppose they might tell you the procedure how to initiate the security erase procedure without using a password. As the terms defines that the entire contents which is available on the hard disk will be cleaned before the drive is unlocked. If this procedure is supported, then it will require that the drive should be connected to the same disk controller, perhaps even on the same machine, which was used to set the password on the hard disk.

I will tell you how my laptop works by defining a password. The way my laptop works is that when the password is defined to the hard disk it stores the password in the bios as long as the password is not wrongly guessed for three times it will not hard lock the hard disk this means that you can still recover the drive by shorting the CMOS. But if you are wrong for the fourth time it hard locks it and puts the password protection on the hard drive and by which you cannot unlock the hard disk without using the password.

The best solution for your problem is that you have to visit hddunlock site where you will find a tool by which you can recover the password and can change the setting for the hard drive. It is the best tool which will unlock your hard drive but erase everything on it. It will wipe it and you can now use it as a new hard drive. This tool has helped me a lot to recover my hard drive password. This will definitely solve your problem.

You have mentioned that this hard drive is of your friend who doesn't use it and he had handover to you. So you should not waste your time to unlock it because it not worth it do waste time in doing all the above method defined by everyone. I am wondering that if you are being paid for this to unlock it then its ok or else not then accessing this drive can cost a lot more than the actual price of buying a new hdd. So i think that if it is not important then you should buy a new one.