Thread: Features of SMART on a Hard disk

Features of SMART on a Hard disk

Hi,
    I am using a 80GB Hard drive. The problem is that when I install Windows XP it gives out a skip file error. I think this can be due to bad sectors. The other thing is that the hard disk is a new one. SO there must not be this problem. I had tried this various other tools also. What is SMART technology of hard disk. I had read that this can be used to keep a track of current hard drive health status.

Re: Features of SMART on a Hard disk

Your hard drive is a sensitive element of your system since it contains all your programs and all your data, you have obviously taken care to preserve in case you encounter some small problems. SMART (Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology) team who drives and helps to continuously collect information on the health of your hardware: error rates in reading, error rates of access to heads, temperature, number of reallocated sectors, bad sectors, etc.

A value that comes out of the ordinary so you can prevent an imminent hardware failure of your hard drive. It is therefore wise to regularly check the SMART status of data on your hard disks. You'll be able to reach safety data from a hard disk that is experiencing difficulties and can fail from one moment to another.

To get a clear SMART data, you can use free software as CrystalDiskInfo. In more technical information on your hard drive, the software tells you from the SMART data collected, if the state of your hard disk is correct, or if problems were detected. To implement the analysis and gathering information on your SMART hard drives, you must activate this feature in the BIOS of your computer.

When you start your computer, press the Delete key to enter the BIOS. Depending on your motherboard, this may be the F1 key. Using the arrows to select your first hard drive and press Enter. Select Monitor SMART and press Enter. Select Enabled and press Enter. Press the Esc key and repeat the steps for your other hard drives that you want to monitor. Finally, press the F10 key, select OK and confirm with ENTER to save changes. Your hard drives now record information about their health. Now SMART is enabled on your hard drive.

CrystalDiskInfo will allow you to retrieve all information about the SMART status of your hard drives. Double click the icon on the desktop CrystalDiskInfo. CrystalDiskInfo then provides information on your hard disk: its health, its temperature, but its serial number, etc. This tool can help you to keep a watch on the same.