Thread: Chkdsk v/s Scandisk in Windows® XP

Chkdsk v/s Scandisk in Windows® XP

hi
    i am bca student.Acually i recently purchased computer.I have installed windows xp operating system in my system.Actually i am aware about some disk error,but i don't have enough information about that.Actually i want to check my hard drive as well as display the status of the disk in current drive.But again i am confused between Chkdsk v/s scandisk ,so any body tell me what is Chkdsk and scandisk,and how it perform in Windows® XP

Re: Chkdsk v/s Scandisk in Windows® XP

The chkdsk command creates and displays a status report for the disk.It can also be used to list and correct errors on the disk. CHKDSK (short for Check disk) is a command on computers running DOS, OS/2 and Microsoft Windows operating system on the number of files and folders, the size of the disk volume, disk performance, and available system resources, such as processor and memory, the chkdsk command may take a long time to complete.As well as SCANDISK or ScanDisk is a utility in MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows systems which checks and repairs file systems and bad clusters on the hard drive.ScanDisk included a more user-friendly interface than MS-DOS CHKDSK.

In window 95/98/ME Microsoft had a scan disk program that would scan your hard disk for file system error as well as hard disk error.After that window xp user who used to window 95/98/ME believe incorrectly that scan disk is not available in window xp.but some other user know that scan disk available in window xp and that is now called CHKDSK (short for Check disk) .CHKDSK (short for Check disk) does not pause at the end after displaying its summary of the error that were found and corrected.Unlike CHKDSK, Scan Disk would also repair cross linked files SCAN DISK can't check NTFS disk drives and therefore isn't available for computers running NT based (including Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.) versions of Windows.

NTFS (New Technology File System) is the standard file system of Windows NT, including its later versions Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Window 2008.But SCAN DISK is not check that type of disk drive.Therefore isn't available for computers running NT based (including Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc.) versions of Windows: in other hand CHKDSK can also check the disk surface for physical errors or bad sectors.For the activation of the chkdsk command firstly go to Start menu, click My Computer after that select the local disk.From the File menu, click Properties.Then click the Tools tab.On the Tools tab, in the Error-checking box, click Check Now.Then click Start in check boxes.Ensure that Microsoft® Windows® XP does not include scan disk.However, it does contain chkdsk

Make sure that Chkdsk requires exclusive access to a disk volume when it runs.Close all programs before running the chkdsk command. If one or more files on the disk being checked are open, you are prompted to schedule the disk check for the next time the computer is restarted.When process start firstly open my computer by start menu then click my computer,then in same window ,click to select the local disk.From the File menu then click properties.Then Check Now by clicking the Tools tab.Then click start from one or both of the option check boxes.After complete the check process close all open dialog boxes.Finally restart the computer.