Thread: How to shrink a MAC Partition

How to shrink a MAC Partition

Hi,
    I am using a MAC desktop system from last few months. When I had purchased the same it came with a single partition which is used for storing out my data. There were system folders in it which were used by default to copy and keep my data like music, audio, video, etc. Recently to system errors I had to restore my MAC operating system back again. Due to which I lost my data. Now if there was a different partition then it would be rather safe for me to keep my data in it. So I want some way to shrink or increase a single mac partition without any software restore issue.

Re: How to shrink a MAC Partition

To increase the size of a partition, it is absolutely necessary and imperative that an area of free space is present on the hard drive and it is contiguous to the partition to be so changed. You can use IPartition for the same use. In the same you can select the pie partition whose size should be increased here = New Volume, and use the slider to determine the new size of this partition or type the desired size in the New Size.

To change the location of partitions on the hard disk, and therefore their positions in relation to possible areas of free space available you will need to run the Disk utility and then select successively or partition to be moved and click on the button Move (displacement per transaction). Rearrange and the drive to your liking, and move partitions at the beginning or the end zones of free space available. Make sure that the final area of free space is placed next to (in the counterclockwise wise) of the partition to see its increased size.

You can do that same in Ipartition. In the main window Ipartition selected in the left column, the hard drive in question other than the boot drive of course and the graphical representation of your hard drive that appears see below. Just re-size it manually (with your mouse) the partition to change: click the partition in question, then you use the outline to expand / shrink a particular partition.

You do not need to fear, you can reduce the size of a partition without risk of deleting data therein. If for example a 300 GB partition contains 100 GB of data, you can reduce this partition up to 100GB, however, I suggest you still leave a little margin. In this example, if we reduce the score to 100 GB, it will be full! Better to reduce to 150 or 180 GB for example to suit your personal convenience. You can also use the Inspector to change a partition. You can do this by using Disk Utility. It has a GUI based interface which helps you to ensure the partitioning a drive. But beware you can loose your data in some cases.

I will recommend you to use GParted . It is a GNOME partition editor which is used for creating, deleting and re-organizing the disk partitions. In this the drive is then divided to different partitions. You can organize your application also in it. Gpart offers you to create a hard drive partition, enable or disable partition flags, etc. You also perform others hard drive partition actions also.