Thread: How can i add second SATA hard disk

How can i add second SATA hard disk

Hey friends,i have a little query and need urgent help from you all guys. I am having a Vista computer with 160GB Sata Hard drive that i am using from a year. Now due to much space consumption i need to add one more drive but have no idea of doing that . Could you guys please make me know how to add second SATA hard drive ? .Thanks !!

Re: How can i add second SATA hard disk

Adding a second hard drive to a computer system is an easy way to get around storage problems as the hard disk is the main long-term memory bank of a computer. But to do so, you'll need some equipments At first, you must of course make sure your motherboard has a SATA controller that allows you to connect SATA hard drives on your motherboard. Refer to this documentation for your motherboard / computer. 4 ports are commonly found on motherboards SATA. Please check at least one connector is available (by opening your box and examining the motherboard).

To exchange data with your computer, the SATA hard drive must be connected to your motherboard with a SATA cable. The SATA hard drive also requires a special power plug. If your diet does not propose such a decision, you can use a Molex to SATA adapter (typically within 1 and 5 €). Note that some SATA drives have a Molex taken in more than one SATA power connector. The adapter is useless in this case. Once you are ok with all these things, here you finally need to add a SATA hard drive.

Installing the hard drive in your computer case is fairly simple as long as you're methodical. Just go through these steps:-

• Turn off your computer and disconnect the cables of peripheral devices (monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc..) And food that are on the case. If in doubt, remember to note the location of each cable and then reconnect to the same outlet.
    • Remove the right panel of the box.
    • Insert the disk in a 3.5-inch slots available and secure it with four screws provided.
    • Connect one end of the data cable SATA hard drive and one to one SATA connector available on the motherboard.
    • Then connect the drive to a power outlet. Use if necessary, a Molex to SATA adapter. Caution: If your disc has a dual power plug SATA and Molex, use one or the other but not both!
    • Close your box and reconnect the cables and devices that power the computer.

With SATA Drives, there is no need to change jumper settings, but before you can use your new hard drive and store your files, you must create a partition and format it. To do so:
    1. Start your computer. Windows then recognizes the new hard drive.
    2. Click the right mouse button on the Computer icon located on the desktop and choose the command Manage.
    3. In the window that appears, scroll down the storage element and click Disk Management.
    4. Click the right button mouse on your new hard drive (which appears as an unknown disk space unallocated) and select Initialize Disk command.
    5. Select the type of partition MBR and click OK.
    6. Then click the hard drive with the right mouse button and click New Simple Volume command.
    7. The wizard Creating a simple volume is opened. Click the Next button.
    8. By default, the maximum size of your hard drive will be used for the new partition. Unless you want to create multiple partitions, leave this maximum size. Click the Next button.
    9. Windows shows you the letter to be issued to the new drive in Windows Explorer. Change it if necessary. Click the Next button.
    10. Your hard drive must be formatted. Choose the file system to use (we recommend the NTFS is more secure and offers more features) and name the hard drive. Click Next.
    11. Click Finish and you are done.

The partition is then created and formatted. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this can be quite long (several hours). Do not stop your computer before it is completed. The new drive is then accessible from Windows Explorer. You can copy over your files.