Thread: Seagate 320GB Hard drive formatting problem

Seagate 320GB Hard drive formatting problem

I am having the two hard drives in my computer system and i am having the problem in formatting Seagate 320GB hard drive. This is the second hard drive of my computer.The formatting never completes for this drives. At the end the error message comes that the windows was unable to complete the formatting. I tried many times but not got any luck. So how can i fully format this hard drive without any problem.

Re: Seagate 320GB Hard drive formatting problem

You are not able to format the second hard drive of your computer system. You are having the Seagate 320GB hard drive as a secondary HDD of your computer system.So the windows is not able to complete the formatting task. Might be this is because the windows is running many processes so that it is not able to complete the formatting process. Either close the unnecessary process or the other thing that you can do is, Start your system in safe mode and format the hard drive. This will format the hard drive properly.

You have not mentioned that in which file system type you are trying to format this hard drive. If you are trying to format this Seagate hard drive in the FAT32 then try to format it in the NTFS File system. And if you are trying to format it in the NTFS and it is not completing the try to format this hard disk drive in FAT32 file system. May be this can fix the formatting problem of this Seagate 320 GB hard drive.

If all this things are not working in the formatting of this Seagate 320GB Hard drive in the all widows mode , normal and the safe mode with the normal formatting. Then i think you can try one other thing to format this hard drive. I think you should try to format this hard drive by using Quick Format technique. Right click on the hard drive, select format and now you can see the formatting window. Select the NTFS File system and mark the check box of the Quick format option. Hope that this will properly resolve this issue.

According to me you can solve this problem by only one method. You can solve this problem only during the installation of the operating system. So i think you should install the new copy of the Windows XP operating system and during the installation process you will get the option for formatting and the defragmentation of the hard disk drives. Select this hard drives and Quick format this hard drive and create the partition according to your needs. This will surely resolve this problem of the Seagate 320GB hard drive.

If the hard drive is not able to format during the installation of the Windows XP operating system also then i think there is some problem in the hardware of your computer system. Now you are having one last option left for you. Connect this hard drive to some other computer system and format this hard drive. If the hard drive formatting completes then remove it and connect to your computer system. If the formatting is not completed in other systems also then this is the problem of the hard drive itself. Replace this hard drive by the new hard drive. May be it is corrupted.