Thread: Selected Boot Device not available

Selected Boot Device not available

hi,
    I have Windows XP installed on my computer,i placed my dell hard drive into my new build and was able to navigate to the drive in xp and format it as NTFS. When I try to boot from CD I get message "Selected boot device not available". I tried changing the Boot Sequence, but nothing I've tried has worked. Any ideas?

Re: Selected Boot Device not available

hi,
    Can you verify that the disk you have is bootable? Just to make sure that it's not the disk. Perhaps try it on the other computer, see if the computer can boot using the same disc. And no, you can't create a bootable CD with just windows... you'd need a third party program like Easy CD Creator or Nero...

Launch PC Restore by rebooting and pressing/holding Ctrl as soon as you see the narrow blue band at top of the screen. Quickly press F11 and release both keys at the same time. Follow the prompts. PC Restore will have you running again in less than 10 minutes!

Then get your firewall and antiiviral software running and then install XP SP3 and all other Microsoft updates ASAP so you don't get infected again.

You need to burn CD from this .iso, not just by copying folders. Try to use some specific software to do it (in Win it may be NERO for example or Alcohol). Just look in google.com for software which will do this job for you.

hi,
    If I understand you correctly, it's the dvd drive that is giving you the problem, yes, not the hard drive? Something is not connected right. Is the dvd drive ide or sata? If ide, is it on the same cable as the hard drive? If so, are the master/slave jumpers correct? If sata, do you have sata enabled in the bios?

Post Re: Selected Boot Device not available

I have Windows XP installed on my computer,i placed my dell hard drive into my new build and was able to navigate to the drive in xp and format it as NTFS. When I try to boot from CD I get message "Selected boot device not available". I tried changing the Boot Sequence, but nothing I've tried has worked. Any ideas?

I tried but now its intructing me to make sure the installation media contains the corect drivers. What do i do?

Quote Originally Posted by kareode View Post

I tried but now its intructing me to make sure the installation media contains the corect drivers. What do i do?
    Can you go into your BIOS and check your device settings to see what is turned ON and OFF. I had a similar problem and in my computer Drive 0 was my Harddrive. The other drive 4 was my CDROM and drive 5 was my DVDROM. Well as long as drive 4 was turned ON my computer will look at the CDROM for a boot device. After just turning off drive 4 (CDROM) and then rebooting my computer then recognized that my CDROM was off and the primary device was now my DVDROM.