Thread: External hard drive detection issues under Imac

External hard drive detection issues under Imac

Hello. I have a desktop machine an an Imac. The problem is with my external hard drive. It is that it does not get detected with Imac while it does get detected with my desktop machine. I just do not know what could have been the problem. Please help me out so that I could get to a conclusion for the same. Thank you.

Re: External hard drive detection issues under Imac

The problem could be related with the file system that the desktop machine is able to support for the hard drive but the Imac is not to do so. you need to check for the file system of the hard drive that the desktop is able to support. Basically check out for the support file system for Imac. This should then help you out to get to a conclusion. Hence your problem would be sorted out.

Currently Imac supports Hfs file system with ntfs and fat 32. So you need to check out for the same. If the the hard drive is of hfs file system it would not show up on windows and may hence ask you fro formatting the drive. You need to format the drive by selecting the file system that your imac may b able to support as well. Then try to connect the hard drive to it. This shall help you out.

You need to upgarde the utility for the for Imac in order to get the hard drive get detected. It may be that the Imac may not support the hard drive as it is unable to support the feature with the same. You need to upgrade the tool. Check out for the updates and then install it accordingly to the same. This may help you in getting the hard to get detected.

There can be a possibility that the third party may be restricting the thing to do so. It may be that the particular brand of the hard drive has certain enclosures that may not allow to get access to the drive with some of the parameters that has not been fulfilled. It does happen as I have experienced the same. have a look to the problem it may turn out to the issue that you are facing.

The security issue has been the major concern for such cases. It may be that the system has been enabled with the feature that any external devices may not able to get detect as the restrictions are been provided to the same. Access to the account using admin account and then connect the hard drive. this may let you to get the hard drive to get detected.