Thread: Problem installation of 1TB hard disk on IPCop

Problem installation of 1TB hard disk on IPCop

I just mount on a machine IPCop Pentium D 2.66 with 2GB ram, everything works properly. I wanted to add 2 hard drives of 1TB to make backups through ssh but when I boot ipcop it tells me
    kernel panic vfs

Do you know how I can rectify my problem ?

I also try to make 2 partitions of 500GB in ext3 but same result.

Re: Problem installation of 1TB hard disk on IPCop

A ipcop with two 1TB drives? I really can not understand what is the point? To store the logs? Security RATHER impose export the logs to a machine not accessible directly from the Internet!

For a Squid cache of 500 GB? It will then have 256 GB of memory if one takes into account the calculations of the need of Squid memory vs. cache size. (Besides a cache of this size is of incredible stupidity!)

To save ipcop? Ah yes, back up daily for 3 ½ years? (cron is provided?)

To save another server? Very subtle to the nearest Internet a safe backup!

A disk of 10 G is very ample and perfectly suited to a firewall. Moreover, the embedded firewall (without squid) usually have only 256M to 4G of storage space! (= Size of compact flash usual)

Anyway, you'll have to revise your idea: it is very likely that the kernel (2.4) does not support drives of this size. (sub: ext3 is it adapted to partitions of 1 TB? index: what is the time an fsck on an ext 3 partition of this size!)

Firstly thank you for your reply so fast

Indeed you are quite right about the fact that the backup to another server on the gateway is not the best. My problem is that every other server is in SAS and I do not have to buy a new machine only for storing backups
    it seems a waste of money (in material and energy)

DAPR what I've read on wikipedia is that the max size for ext3 is 2TB, so it is true that fsck should be long enough

Selecting appropriate hardware is an important issue! (essential?)

There is one side, companies that pay attention to the budget and try to reuse the other companies who have budget and purchase equipment unsuitable.

(Recently I saw a quad core machine with 2 sata drives for raid 1: totally inadequate, although this is not the most appropriate adjective. Conversely, I see servers with 128 MB should do firewall + mysql + samba: equally inappropriate!)

So a firewall will be much better for a standard PC rather than a hardened server rack art. (For SMEs, now, I recommend two pc assembled nine clustered with pfSense. 2x 200-250 €, period.)

And then every need, its solution.

A backup ssh server for N? Why not a small box with 2 NAS 1TB drives mirrored? (Of course it will save the network speed but some boxes also offer rsync ...)

I do not want to multiply the equipment because it seems a little inappropriate to buy or reuse a server rack. 2 cores to make only one server backup and storage. Indeed, a small box nas just do the trick any way backups are done overnight and no not need to be very fast.

And the solution pfsence that seems to fit quite a SME I will keep in the elbow!