Thread: External hard drive issue on Toshiba N200 netbook

External hard drive issue on Toshiba N200 netbook

Just few days back i had purchased a new Toshiba N200 netbook. I had installed Windows Xp on it. Now the problem is that when I try to open the external hard drive from my computer, it will come up with "Choose the program that you wish to open the file with". I get the same message when ever i try to open the external hard drive. So, can any one tell me that what i need to do to resolve external hard drive issue on Toshiba N200 netbook? Any one has any idea about it? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: External hard drive issue on Toshiba N200 netbook

When it freezes, try pressing Alt-F1. Does that do anything? Try holding down the Alt key while you click and drag anywhere in the window. This should allow you to move the window so you can see the bottom half. It seems that once I have unplugged the device that it takes a series of steps to get it to recognize the device again.

Since your external HD works on another computer, I strongly suggest that you back up your files on to that computer or back it up to CDs or DVDs.This portable encasement allows the user to store information on a hard drive that is not inside the computer, but rests on a tabletop or surface nearby the computer. The external hard drive is connected to the computer via a high-speed interface cable.

Do you have the power cord plugged in? Large external HDs require additional power because the USB port does not provide enough for it even if it's 2.0. Windows is not recognizing the program thats compatible with that file type. If your trying to open a pdf file and you dont have adobe installed youll get that type of error.

It seems to be a Windows issue. For that you need to right click and choose explore instead of double clicking, alternatively disable autorun. Press alt-f2 and type ccsm. Scroll to the bottom and find the "move windows" icon and click on it. There is an option "constrain Y"; uncheck this and you can move the window above the top. There is some program on it which your computer thinks it should run.